Explore the best places
Monuments in Santarém
Largo do Município
This building has classical lines and it is a fine example from the Manor houses civil architecture from the 17th century, presenting elegant and sober façades. Inside, stands out the“Noble Room” as well as the “Councillors Virtues Room”. Presently it is Santarém City Hall.
Largo de Marvila
The primitive church was constructed as a consequence from the Christian Reconquest on the half of the 13th century, being one of the oldest parish headquarters on the town. The structure and the character from the former Gothic church were deeply altered becoming the most important example from the Manueline style in Santarém. It stands out the Gothic doorway and the glazed tiles coverage from the 17th century.
Rua da Encosta do Castelo
The primitive Castle, rebuilt in the 13th century, suffered considerable damage in the 1531 earthquake. In 1954 there were works to consolidate the cloths between walls conserved integrally, the adarves and the Merlons, part of the keep and the Barbican. Juxtaposed to the main door there is an interesting sculpture, representing three castles and an eagle.
Largo Ramiro Nobre
Originally Gothic, the current structure from São Nicolau church is the consequence of a mannerist renewal occurred after the 1600 fire. The tombs here are from João Afonso, King Dom João I counsellor and founder of the most important hospital in the Town, and from Fernão Rodrigo Redondo, an important Nobleman, both tombs are included on the classification as a National Monument.
Calçada das Figueiras
Medieval fountain also designed Fonte Mourisca, with a porch with three ogival arches and characterized for the decoration of its crowing in pointed battlements.
Jardim das Portas do Sol
From the former defensive walls in Santarém that in other times possessed fourteen doors and hatch, today it only remains some vestiges in some parts of the city. It can be observed next to the Sol (Sun) door with three small towers, on the proximity of Traição (Betrayal) door and several other things spread through the city. From the former doors the one who still exist are Santiago, Sun, Leiria and the Palace (Paço) which are a small sample from what the town used to be.
Rua 31 de Janeiro
This building was constructed between 1242 and 1260 with regal support from D. Sancho II and D. Afonso III it was enlarged by D. Dinis and D. Fernando. It was here that in 1477, D. João was acclaimed king of Portugal and in 1580 here took place the Court. In 1834 after the extinction of the Religious Orders the Convent was desecrated and rather misused. In 1940 a fire caused damages into the building. Extensive work has been trying to return dignity to this Convent.
Rua Doutor Jaime Figueiredo, 22
Localizado perto do Tribunal da cidade, é uma construção de 1930 que sobressai pelo interessante e extenso conjunto de painéis de azulejos. Ao todo, são 55 os painéis figurativos a que se juntam oito decorativos, feitos na antiga Fábrica de Sacavém, e que apresentam motivos de propaganda turística e regional. O edifício, que tem uma distinta linguagem arquitetónica, foi construído no local onde durante séculos se realizou o antigo mercado ao ar livre, naquela que era conhecida como Praça Velha.
Avenida Gago Coutinho e Sacadura Cabral
Founded by Dom Afonso III, this temple with Gothic roots has suffered many changes throughout the times and it was rebuilt in the 20th century. The present church, the result of the restore work done in 1930 is composed by three naves, and the main chapel is topped by a Gothic vault and the lightning is done through a Rose Window.