Explore the best places
Monuments in Barreiro
Edifício da Estação do Barreiro
Avenida Batalhão de Sapadores de Caminhos de Ferro
A building where the Barreiro CP train station used to function, inaugurated in 1881. Its main façade faces Lisbon.
Campo Arqueológico da Mata da Machada
Mata Nacional da Machada - Vale de Zebro
A ceramics oven dating back to the 15th and 16th centuries that used to produce tableware and industrial use artefacts.This archaeologic set is located at the Machada Woods.
Campo Arqueológico da Real Fábrica de Vidros Cristalinos de Coina
Ruins of the Royal glassworks established in the 18th century, in 1719. This factory produced glass white, crystalline type glass, glazing, mirrors and green glass. In 1747, due to lack of vegetable fuel, was transferred to the Marinha Grande. Currently only a few traces remain.
Moinho do Jim
Avenida Bento Gonçalves
An old windmill, dating back to 1827, planned by Diogo Hartley. It is well preserved and houses an association.
Moinhos de Vento de Alburrica
Three old deactivated and well-maintained windmills found on the river beach of Alburrica. The group consists of the Giant Windmill, Windmills of Spring (both built in 1852 by José Pedro da Costa) and the Windmill Poente built in the same year by José Francisco da Costa. These specimens fed with flour the ovens of the largest manufacturing unit of biscuit production in the country.
Convento da Madre de Deus da Verderena
Rua do Convento
The construction of this convent started in the 15th century and was founded by Dona Francisca de Azambuja, a descendant of one of the most ilustrious families in Barreiro. Its architecture is simple and austere. It went through several works, namely at the beginning of the 18th century. When the religious orders were extinguished it became a farm for the summer vacations. In 1995, the building, that belonged to the town hall, as recovered and restored. It currently has an auditorium, a section of the municipal library, a bar and a centre of temporary exhibitions.
Moinho de Maré de Coina
A 16th/17h centuries mill with five milling engines.
Edificio das Oficinas Gerais do Caminho de Ferro
Rua Miguel Pais
A large building of 1864 where the CP (train company) main ateliers function. Until 1933 it was the main river station of the CP, where the trains arrived and from here the connection by sailsboat to Lisbon was made. It has an imposing main façade, an old clock and a plaque that shows its construction date. It is currently a hangar where the trains are repaired.
Mausoléu Alfredo da Silva
Parque Empresarial Quimiparque
A mausoluem where Alfredo da Silva lies, built in 1944. Grandiose, it was planned by the architect Luís Cristino da Silva and has bas-reliefs by Leopoldo de Almeida. Built in stone, it is of the arabic type and has a small chapel and a wall in half circle.
Estátua do Padre Abílio da Silva Mendes
Praça de Santa Cruz
A simple homage to Father Abílio da Silva Mendes by the population of Barreiro.