Explore the best places
Monuments in Batalha
Rua de Santo António
Chapel of nave and chancel built in 1517 and enlarged between 1887 and 1948. In 1990 it was built inside the courtyard of the chapel the Church of Nossa Senhora do Ó.
Largo Infante Dom Henrique
It is one of the biggest and most beautiful Monuments from the Gothic architecture in Portugal and the first from Manueline art in the 16th century. Batalha Monastery is also the most outstanding symbol from the Avis dynasty. The monastery was built by orders of D. João I as a consequence from a promise he made to the Virgin Mary in order to win the battle of Aljubarrota in 1385. The construction started the next year under the supervision of the Portuguese architect Afonso Domingues. In this initial phase the results produced were the majority of the church structures and …
Rua de São Martinho
2495, São Mamede
Monument representing a soldier, erected in tribute to the dead soldiers in the wars of France and Africa.
2495, Portela das Cruzes
Set of windmills that formerly small grains. Are in good condition.
Largo da Praça da Fonte
2440-208, Reguengo de Fetal
This temple was constructed in 1512 and it underwent several reforms during the 18th century. The original mannerist outline is lively by the baroque combination on the façade from the 18th century and by the adding of some revivalist details from the following century. It also stands out the holly water font in Manueline style.
Largo da Misericórdia
Sunny housing dating from the 18th century, Johannine style, which highlight the frames of the will drawn up in limestone. It was probably built in the late 18TH century.
Rua Nossa Senhora do Fetal
2440, Reguengo do Fetal
The Sanctuary of Nossa Senhora do Fetal is composed by a small church and a cemetery, both built on the 16th century. Here is where the Holly Spirit festivity takes place, based on the story of a child that shepherded the cattle and begged for bread to survive. Hence, in this festivity everybody receives bread, sponsored by the “emperor”, someone that made a promise and as a consequence has to bear all the expenses.
Praceta Nosso Senhor dos Aflitos
Also known as St. Anthony's Chapel, was built in the 15th century, Pero Garcia da Rosa. It is a chapel with a single nave, with triumphal arch back perfect (Renaissance feature). The ceiling of the chancel, in a panelled Vault.
Avenida Dom Nuno Álvares Pereira
18TH century manor, East and Northeast by facades are more worked than the rest, with a monumental portal, Bay Windows along the upper floor ending with a balcony with two groups of masonry columns and wooden ceiling.