Explore the best places
Monuments in Horta
Rua Dom Pedro IV
The current building was designed by Joaquim Norte Júnior and inaugurated on June 30, 1934. It replaced the building that burned down in 1930 at the same venue, property of the Masonic society "Love of the fatherland". The building, in presenting an Art Deco style, stands out from the other buildings of the city of Horta. It is a large-scale construction where stands out, in the main façade, a double staircase flanked by two Dragon trees. It was here that, in 1976, took place the inaugural act of the first term of the Regional Government and, for several years, worked …
Rua Cônsul D'Abney
Erected in 1851 by John Pomeroy Dabney, son of the American Consul in the Azores, this building housed the residence and the winepress of the Dabney Family.
Rua Conde D'Ávila
Also known as a stronghold of the patrol, this door is part of the defensive complex dating from the early 17TH century which included the Guardhouse, the Castelo de São Sebastião and the Strafing, connected by a wall of support along the Bay of Porto Pim. It is a fortification of L-shaped plant with ten Gunners.
Set of three rotating windmills, located at the top of the Lomba da Conceição. The wooden structure, as well as access ladders, are painted red, where the masts and sails (two with candles and a grid with triangular sails). The landscape that you can receive from these Mills is of rare beauty.
Rua de São Paulo
The official name of this empire is Empire of recognition and beneficence, and in 1760 was erected in memory of the volcano eruption of Cabeço do Fogo, which occurred in April 24, 1672. It is believed to be the first empire built of stone and lime, as opposed to improvised empires that were until then.
Largo Duque D'Ávila e Bolama
Originally built as a church of the Jesuit College, had the foundation stone in 1652. However, the construction only started in 1680. The buildings that flank (College) were never completed and today House the Horta Museum and the Town Hall. The Church, in turn, became array in 1825, due to the advanced state of degradation of the previous array. The façade of the Church is made up of four floors and the interior is composed of a single nave and three interconnecting chapels.
Rua da Igreja (ER 3-2)
Church of simple lines, built in the 17th century.
Rua da Igreja
This church is in high State of degradation due to the earthquake of July 9, 1998. Followed by a serious fire, the two catastrophes left this temple almost completely destroyed.
Rua de Santo António
This monumental Baroque building was the former convent of the order of the Third. Featured, on the facade, for the two bell towers and bulb-shaped, inside, for some images dating from the 18th century.
Rua da Igreja
Church dating from the 18TH century, consisting of three ships. The interior is, in its generality, towed and painted. The main façade includes the inscription "1929\/1770" and is divided into five bodies, corresponding to the three naves and the two towers. Apart from the main façade and bell towers, which are lined with white tiles, the exterior is painted white. During the earthquake of 1998 the Church was substantially damaged.