Explore the best places
Praça Marquês de Pombal
Inaugurada em 1934, esta estátua ergue-se na mítica Praça do Marquês de Pombal, também conhecida por Rotunda do Marquês de Pombal. O Monumento a Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, Marquês de Pombal e ministro do Rei D. José teve origem nas comemorações evocativas do centenário da sua morte, em 1882. Os autores foram os arquitetos Adães Bermudes e António do Couto e os escultores Simões e Leopoldo de Almeida e Francisco Santos.
This work, a symbol of the Portuguese expansion, is the city ex-libris. The exterior is decorated with shaped stones and the gothic salon is an austere space that was once a storage room and a prison. The private dependencies are worthy of notice for its renaissance arcade and the panoramic view.
Praça do Império
Exemplar Monument of the Discoveries period glory, the maximum exponent of the Manueline style. The original drawing is by Boitaca, the architect that started the work. Built in blue limestone, it shows a façade with more than 300 meters. The south portico, with an exuberant decoration, is one of the master pieces of the flaming gothic, and the double cloister is considered one of the most beautiful in the world.
Raised at the time of the Exposição do Mundo Português, the pompous Padrão, designed by Leopoldo de Almeida, it is set on a wind rose and its caravel shaped drawing is creative. Inside the monument, a lift goes up to the sixth floor, where you find the access to a terrace from which you have a great view over the river and Belém. The attics lodge temporary exhibitions.
Fonte da Água Livre - Carenque
Huge work that crosses the Alcântara valley, being that the most visible part of this monument are the 14 arches. At the end of the aqueduct rises a structure with a castle shape called the Mãe d’àgua of the Amoreiras. There are guided tours to the arches and the reservoir that supplies the city.
Largo de São Sebastião, 12-14
Dwelling house of simple rectangular plant, with two floors divided by monumental frieze. It was built in the 19th century, becoming the residence of Cesário Verde. Currently, there is a plaque commemorating this fact.
Rua Esquerda, 12 - 14
House of 19th century housing, to present a simple rectangular plan with two floors. The main façade is torn regularly by rectilinear and spans simple frames, with the central axis a portal and a Bay window. It is in very bad state of preservation.
Praça Dom Pedro IV
Located at the Rossio north side, the Teatro Dona Maria II was built in 1840 by the Italian architect Fortunato Lodi. The façade has six columns, brought from the São Francisco Convent, and is ended with a triangular fronton where are sculpted the figures of Apollo and the Muses.
Largo de Santos-o-Novo
Built in the XVII century, it suffered reconstruction works after the earthquake. At the cloister, squared, open arched galleries that lodge the chapels of the Senhor dos Passos and the Encarnação, covered with carving, sculptures and glazed tiles. The church, with one nave only, has the lateral walls covered with paintings and glazed tiles.
Estrada da Ameixoeira, 118
Church integrated in a Lisbon suburb characteristic of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. It is a Baroque building with a facade of the second half of the 18th century. It has a single nave, lined with 18th-century figurative tiles, rectangular plant with coverage in painted wooden caissons.