Explore the best places
Monuments in Alcobaça
Rua do Norte, 35
2460-492, Évora de Alcobaça
Chapel characterized by the cumulation and overlapping of different styles: Gothic, manueline and Renaissance. The original temple was built in the 15th century, and in the 17th century was its reconstruction.
Praça 25 de Abril
This Monument was constructed by the Cistercian Rule monks between 1178 and 1254 following the model from the Mother House from Cistercian Rule in Claraval, France. The Monastery is composed by three bodies: the church, the North and South wings where it was respectively located the Kings and Court chambers when visiting and the Abbot and Monks residences. From the original façade there are some preserved elements like the crenels on the side walls, the Gothic doorway and the lateral windows. The baroque towers were added in the 18th century. The church is the biggest one in Portugal with three …
Praça do Pelourinho
2460-601, Aljubarrota (Prazeres)
Religious vernacular architecture of the 16th century, restored by the people and parish priest between 1985 and 1991.
Largo da Igreja
2460, Aljubarrota (São Vicente)
Cruise ship built in 1858, composed of lysed flower Latin cross, with arms based on a sphere.
Rua Joaquim da Silva Almeida
Church of revival architecture and pioneering project. Has ship only, chancel, side chapels and collaterals. The Zoomorphic gargoyles (fish, dog, Rooster, pig, Parrot and Wolf) and two gargoyles of human representation, from the early Church.
Rua de Santa Rita
This building was founded by testamentary arrangement of D. Sancho I it would come to adapt to a Convent house for the Bernardas during the 16th century. It possesses one only nave covered with a wooden ceiling with coffer painted with emblematic. –the walls are covered with pattern and figurative glazed tiles, altarpieces in golden mannerism carving framing paintings. The Manueline door giving access to the choir stands out, as well as the ceiling coffer paintings, the glazed tiles from the 18th century that cover the walls.
Largo Senhora da Graça
2460, Ataíja de Cima
16th century Church of longitudinal plant, ship only and chancel with three wooden coverage plans. The translucent display clock in the oculus.
Largo João Baptista
Church nave only, with stylistic influence of Rococo. It lies next to the cemetery of the nearby Alfeizerão from the ruins of the Château de Alfeizerão.
Rua do Castelo
Installed on a rise about 70 meters west of the monastery, Alcobaça Castle was sent to build by d. Afonso Henriques in 1147, on the presumed ruins of a fortification from the 6th century, as part of an important defensive line of the Lisbon region. Repeatedly devastated at the time of the Reconquista, d. Sancho ordered its reconstruction to house the monks alcobacenses and the population in the event of an attack. After suffering several earthquakes (1329, 1422 and 1563), turned out to serve as a prison in Filipes. Presenting itself in a State of ruin in the 18TH century, …