Explore the best places
Rua da Figueira, 9
A museum devoted to the presentation, preservations and study of the Portalegre tapestries. It is composed of several areas of permanent exhibitions, a gallery of temporary exhibitions and an auditorium.
Largo de Santa Maria
This fortification was built in the 12th and 13th centuries and later sent to enlarge by Dom Dinis. During that time some changes were made, Manueline which subsists the gate which gave access to the drawbridge. Still preserves the Alcazaba with the keep of pentagonal base, the Tower of the five Corners, protected by machicolations and faucets, and the waist of walls that surrounds the village. Emphasis the thickness and height of the curtains of the Alcazaba and the existence of the Barbican.
One of the most imposing fortresses of the 13th century, with an oval plan, cylindric towers in the angles and a square donjon in the centre. The donjon, gothic, is about 33 metres tall and in it the battlements and the ogival windows stand out. On the north side of the walls there is the "Princesse's Tower", thus named because, according to an ancient legend, there lived as a prisoner a young moorish girl loved by a Christian.
Costa de Vila Fria
The Plaza de armas has the shape of an irregular polygon. The entry in the Alcazaba is done through three main doors: the door to the corner of Olivenza and the s. Vicente. The keep was rebuilt in 1488. On the entrance door are the arms of d. João, surmounted by a tile Panel represented the Holy family. The primitive fortifications have been built on a castro later romanized. After the reconquest from the moors of Elvas, d. Sancho II had rebuilt the fortification. During the reigns of d. Dinis, King John II and Manuel suffered modifications.
Avenida Central, 118-124
Its construction was ordered in the first half of the XVIII century, presenting a two floors’ front, rococo style.
Largo Coronel Morais Sarmento
2560-602, Torres Vedras
Castle located on top of a hill, in an area surrounded by the village. The walls have been raised by the Arabs and, later, d. Dinis expanded the fortification and d. Manuel ordered its reconstruction. This castle was in the defensive system of the Torres Lines. Ruined by the earthquake of 1755, keeps some wall panels and the large semicircular tower which defended the entrance to the old Palace. Inside the wall, of oval shape, are a chapel, the Alcazaba which integrates the donjon and three tanks.
Praça 25 de Abril
This Monument was constructed by the Cistercian Rule monks between 1178 and 1254 following the model from the Mother House from Cistercian Rule in Claraval, France. The Monastery is composed by three bodies: the church, the North and South wings where it was respectively located the Kings and Court chambers when visiting and the Abbot and Monks residences. From the original façade there are some preserved elements like the crenels on the side walls, the Gothic doorway and the lateral windows. The baroque towers were added in the 18th century. The church is the biggest one in Portugal with three …
Avenida 5 de Outubro, 10
Inaugurado em 2016, localiza-se na margem direita do rio Tâmega, junto à Ponte de São Roque. É um espaço de fruição cultural de excelência, constituído por diversos espaços, salas de exposições temporárias e permanentes, auditório, arquivo, biblioteca e loja. Um espaço de características excecionais, moderno e único, para homenagear o génio do pintor flaviense Nadir Afonso.