Explore the best places
Monuments in Braga
Rua Dom Diogo de Sousa
XVI century construction, renaissant style. On the doorway there’s a sculpture subordinated to the Visitation theme. Inside, the nave covering and the retable stand out.
Rua de São Vítor
It was rebuilt in the XVII, at the place where a Romanic temple used to be. It was the first church thought to be covered with baroque glazed tiles, being the richest building of this kind in Braga.
Largo Carlos Amarante
Built in the XVII century, it has a baroque front and, inside, are worthy of notice the golden woodcarving altars and the glazed tile panels. A legend says there are three cocks sculpted at the front, but most people only see two.
Monte do Bom Jesus
4715-056, Bom Jesus
This church was constructed under the orders of archbishop Dom Gaspar of Bragança in 1784 and it was ready in 1811. It is one of the first neoclassic buildings in Portugal and it was drawn by the architect Carlos Amarante.
Rua Dom Paio Mendes
This medieval temple suffered several changes through the centuries. The classification includes the tombs of the Conde Dom Henrique, Dona Teresa, the Infante Dom Afonso and the archbishops Dom Gonçalo Pereira and Dom Diogo de Sousa
Travessa do Carmo
The Convent and the church were built in the middle of the XVII century. The glazed tiles are from the XIX century and the present front is modernist (1907). Inside are worthy of notice the baroque woodcarving, the neoclassical retable and glazed tiles. Near this place are the ruins of the ancient Caridade chapel, from the XVII century.
This construction that once belonged to the São Filipe Nery congregation, is presently occupied by the primary teaching school. The church, with clear baroque influence, is sided by two bell towers.
Largo do Mosteiro de São Martinho de Tibães
Ancient Benedictine monastery, whose present ensemble dates from the XVIII century. The monastery has four cloisters and the most important is decorated with azulejos and a granite fountain at the centre. The church has beautiful golden woodcarving works.
Avenida Nossa Senhora do Sameiro, 44
Revival Sanctuary located on top of Mount Sameiro, consisting of a staircase, an enclosure for field and a church mass. Around there is a wide space with a tree-lined Park, gardens, a cruise, some sources, a chapel, the Home of the prints, the Dean's House and a restaurant.