The Plaza de armas has the shape of an irregular polygon. The entry in the Alcazaba is done through three main doors: the door to the corner of Olivenza and the s. Vicente. The keep was rebuilt in 1488. On the entrance door are the arms of d. João, surmounted by a tile Panel represented the Holy family. The primitive fortifications have been built on a castro later romanized. After the reconquest from the moors of Elvas, d. Sancho II had rebuilt the fortification. During the reigns of d. Dinis, King John II and Manuel suffered modifications.
The castle still maintains two fundamental elements of the medieval fortresses: the "Cerca da Vila" and the "Alcáçova" that still as the dongeon. On the walls one can see the doors that led to the old small town: the Sun Gate and the Azóia Gate.
Castle located on top of a hill, in an area surrounded by the village. The walls have been raised by the Arabs and, later, d. Dinis expanded the fortification and d. Manuel ordered its reconstruction. This castle was in the defensive system of the Torres Lines. Ruined by the earthquake of 1755, keeps some wall panels and the large semicircular tower which defended the entrance to the old Palace. Inside the wall, of oval shape, are a chapel, the Alcazaba which integrates the donjon and three tanks.
This Monument was constructed by the Cistercian Rule monks between 1178 and 1254 following the model from the Mother House from Cistercian Rule in Claraval, France. The Monastery is composed by three bodies: the church, the North and South wings where it was respectively located the Kings and Court chambers when visiting and the Abbot and Monks residences. From the original façade there are some preserved elements like the crenels on the side walls, the Gothic doorway and the lateral windows. The baroque towers were added in the 18th century. The church is the biggest one in Portugal with three ...
Inaugurado em 2016, localiza-se na margem direita do rio Tâmega, junto à Ponte de São Roque. É um espaço de fruição cultural de excelência, constituído por diversos espaços, salas de exposições temporárias e permanentes, auditório, arquivo, biblioteca e loja. Um espaço de características excecionais, moderno e único, para homenagear o génio do pintor flaviense Nadir Afonso.
This bridge was constructed in granite formed by eighteen arches even though these days we can only see twelve. On this bridge there are two commemorative columns from the Emperors Vespasiano and Trajano time.
This museum offers its visitors a wide collection, from objects dating back to the 3rd century bC to the Roman days. A special note to the collections related to the Roman World, one of the most important and complete collections in this area.