Explore the best places
Monuments in Guarda
Recreational and farm production, composed of a main building and some agricultural dependencies: an oven, a pigsty and a circular Dovecote. Features of Mannerist, Baroque and Rococo architecture.
Rua General Alves Roçadas, 28-30
Building with facade with three bodies, being the one in the Center, the Church, surmounted by a pediment in the middle circle that rises above the cornice. The lateral bodies are of eaves run with conical ridged gargoyles. The cloister and heraldic symbols and decoration, the shells, palmetas, volutes, loops, braids and geometric motifs.
Praça Luís de Camões
The Cathedral of Guarda was built between the 14th and 16th centuries. It possesses two doorways; one is Gothic style and the other in Manueline style. To bring out, on the outside, the two massive octagonal bell towers, gargoyles and pinnacles. On the inside it stands out the Renaissance altarpiece a work done by João de Ruão, the columns, and the Pinas family chapel as well as the seating’s.
Largo Doutor João de Almeida
This is an 18th century building which was restored during the Joanine period. It is worthy to mention the stonework finely elaborated on the door, pediment, windows, towers and niche. On the main chapel the altar is dedicated to Our Lady of Consolação (Consolation).
Rua da Torre, 46
This is a high stone tower with a portcullis and curved entrance passage. The wall revetment with banquettes, the doors and the keep can still demarcate the medieval town. This tower is one of the entrances to the castle inside wall.
Rua Vila de Manteigas, 75
Romanesque temple which already has elements of transition to Gothic. Consists of two rectangular volumes juxtaposed (a single nave and a chancel), being the front torn by an arched portico back with archivolts. The dogs and capitals are decorated with Zoomorphic motifs and fitomórficos. The triumphal arch broken and the rosettes announce already Gothic.
Rua Dona Maria Luísa Godinho
At the highest point of the city, at 1056 meters of altitude, is the Castle, better known as Torre de Menagem. This site was inhabited by order of Dom Sancho I, who granted him a Charter and perks, in 1199, and transferred to the seat of the diocese. This first Charter was confirmed by the same King in 1217, 1229 and, later, in 1254, by Dom Afonso III. In 1510, Dom Manuel gave him new Charter and granted to his son, Don Fernando, the title of Duke of Guarda.
Alameda de Santo André
Large 18th century fountain armorial (Refoios Saraiva family), which is decorated with volutes, dragons and pinnacles. The water gushes through three masks, for a tank clipped.
Largo Frei Pedro da Guarda
Small tile Panel in shades of blue and white, representing Friar Pedro da Guarda with his dog, looking in the snow travelers lost in the Sierra.