Explore the best places
Monuments in Cascais
Rua dos Navegantes
A baroque temple with an octogonal plan. Inside there are two panels that represent the patron saints of the sea men: Saint Pedro Gonçalves and Our Lady of the Navegantes.
Avenida Dom Carlos I
The fortress of Nossa Senhora da Luz has a portal with pilasters and a pediment heavy denticuladas. The coat of arms of Portuguese Crown evokes the overlapping of past wars.
Rua Frederico Arouca, 100
In this building one can view the Louis XIII style ornamented with vestiges of the Greek and Arab antiquities, subtly combined. On the outer walls one can view a pleasant chess of red bricks.
Rua Frederico Arouca
A chapel of great veneration among the people in Cascais, it is located by the sea. A small temple with an ornamented façade with the sober frames of the portico.
Largo da Misericórdia
This church was built in the 17th century, severely damaged by the earthquake in 1755 and rebuilt in 1777. A special note to the exhibited art works, the canonicals and the sacred objects.
Alameda Duquesa de Palmela
A palace built on the site of the demolished Fortress of Our Lady of Conceição, it was acquired in 1868 by the Duques of Palmela in order to build a summer residence there. The project belongs to the English architect Thomas Henry Wyatt. With a revivalist English architecture, this building is covered by masonry. In the main raised wall one can view, above the door, the coat of arms of the family of the Duchess of Palmela.
Praceta do Moinho
The mills according to the American model appeared in Portugal, especially in the Estremadura and Beira Litoral, at the beginning of the 20th century. In the parishes of Sintra, Oeiras and Cascais, only in Cascais are there two examples of this structure. Composed of a large metal structure and na enormous wheel that used the wind energy, it had big production costs, whuch was a reason for it not to be widespread. The cereals used here were wheat, corn and rye.
Avenida Rei Humberto II de Itália
A fortress located by the cliff, near the Museum Count Castro Guimarães. The date of its primitive construction is not identified and only an inscription and the royal arms remain of it. It was deeply restored when it was given to the Sea Ministry, in 1868, to build a lighthouse there.
Alameda Duquesa de Palmela
Built in 1896, this is a replica of the model of the palaces in Cascais. It has 2 water rooftops, multiplied in the attic.
Rua de Olivença
A set also named Cocheiras de Santos Jorge or Cavalariças de Santos Jorge (Stables of Santos Jorge), classified as a public interest building. The classification includes the building of the old garage, the coachouse and the stables of the house of António Santos Jorge.