Explore the best places
Monuments in Coimbra
Largo do Terreiro
Solar plant Baroque composed in L and differentiated coverage on gable roof. It was built in the 18th century and modified and expanded in the 19th and 20th centuries.
Largo Feira dos Estudantes
Magnificent Jesuit temple begun in 1598. The main front, austere but elegant has two bodies from two distinct styles: classic and baroque. Inside are worthy of note the several baroque golden woodcarving altars, the organs placed on the lateral walls of the main chapel and a manueline baptistery brought from the Old See.
Rua Padre António Vieira, 1
Building with L-shaped plan and five floors, whose construction began in 1957, being inaugurated in 1963. In the penthouse, the palas sombreadoras based on pilotis, which make the usable terraces.
Largo da Porta Férrea
Building resulting from the reform of the New State to the University City of Coimbra. Consists of a quadrangular plant with seven floors, organized around a central space.
Praça da República
Set of two buildings, one of them the theatre itself, with plant in range and three floors, and the choir room, of rectangular plant and three floors. It was built between 1959 and 1961, working only with one-off shows. In 1966, was installed a film projection machine, giving priority ever since the film industry. It consists of a room with a capacity between 500 to 1000 places distributed by audience and a balcony, and a large stage.
Praça da Porta Férrea
From the set stand out: the Porta Férrea, the Via Latina, the building of the former S. Pedro College, The Joanina Library, The S. Miguel Chapel, The Sala dos Capelos, the Sala de Exame Privado, the tower, the Gerais, and the Religious Art Museum.
Rua das Parreiras
The monastic set (church, cloister, and bowery) has great cultural and architectonic value. The church is an exemplar of the mendicant Gothic. Worthy of notice are the notable Hispanic Arabian glazed tiles panels, the rose-window at the occidental front and the magnificent renaissance arch that comes into view under the arch of the epistle nave.
Sited in a rural area, this building has two squared bodies.
Edifício do Colégio de Santo António da Pedreira/ Casa da Infância Doutor Elysio de Moura / Casa-Museu Elysio de Moura
Rua do Doutor Guilherme Moreira, 22
Former College founded in 1602 by the Franciscan province of St. Anthony of the observance. In 1834, with the extinction of the religious orders, was abandoned, and later retired.