Explore the best places
Monuments in Braga
Avenida Nossa Senhora do Sameiro, 44
Revival Sanctuary located on top of Mount Sameiro, consisting of a staircase, an enclosure for field and a church mass. Around there is a wide space with a tree-lined Park, gardens, a cruise, some sources, a chapel, the Home of the prints, the Dean's House and a restaurant.
Rua Doutor Rocha Peixoto
These are also known as Roman Baths/Spa of alto da Cividade are located on the upper part in Cividade slope. They were discovered during the working excavations made during 1977. The building is placed in the 1st century and it is integrated on the urban renovation work of Flávia Braca Augusta.
Praça da República
Built in 1715, by the spot where the medieval wall used to be, it had the castle behind, whose donjorl was preserved. In front of the arcade was the Campo de Santa Ana, ordered by D. Diogo de Sousa in the XVI century. Between 1761 and 1767, at the time of the archbishop D. Gaspar de Bragança, the central nucleus of the arcade was opened and the Igreja da Lapa (church), with an André Soares drawing, was built.
Rua do Raio, 2
The only roman reference monument of the Bracara Augusta and one of the most important rupestral sanctuaries of the referred period that still exist in the Iberia Peninsula.
Terreiro do Castelo
This is all that’s left of the Braga’s castle, which formed a medieval fortress. It has 12 meters long and about 30 meters height. The granite tower is crowned with battlements and angles. In one of the fronts a D. Dinis coat of arms.
Rua do Raio, 400
This is one of the most representative exemplars of the baroque taste, on the height of its exuberance. It was built in 1754 and the “rocaille” front as well as the staircase stand out.
Rua Conde São Joaquim
It’s a XVII century construction that combines the baroque and neoclassical styles. For a long time this was the main entrance to the city. On the upper part there is a feminine figure symbolizing the city of Braga.
Largo Carlos Amarante
Baroque building dated from the XVIII century. On top of the building there are eight images representing martyrs and Apostles, by Carlos Amarante.
Largo de São João do Souto
Its construction was ordered by the Archbishop Dom João Coimbra in 1525. It origin is probably Romanic, and the chapel has gothic lines. Inside are worthy of notice the XVIII century glazed tiles.