Explore the best places
Avenida Tomàs Cabreira
Small chapel dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria, located inside the forte de Santa Catarina. The gothic stone portal.
Rua Infante Dom Henrique
Architectural testimony of Arab civilization. Quadrangular with four has pinnacles at each corner and a cupola surmounting the dome.
Largo da Igreja
It was constructed in the end of the 15th century, by orders of Dom Manuel. This church presents three naves, two collateral chapels and three laterals. Here we pay special attention to the rococo glazed tiles panel and to the manueline doorway.
Rua da Igreja
8500, Mexilhoeira Grande
Renaissance building, dating from the 16th century, with two side doors of Manueline style. In the interior, especially the distribution of the temple into three aisles. High Altar with representative panel of the assumption.
Rua Francisco de Bívar, 72
8500, Mexilhoeira Grande
16th century Church consists of a chancel and a vestry. In the second half of the 19th century underwent a total refurbishment.
Rua de São Pedro
Architectural testimony of civilization Arabic, of quadrangular with four pinnacles at each corner and a cupola surmounting the dome.
Largo do Castelo
These ruins are all that is left from an Arab fortress which was used to defend Lagos bay. The castle was conquer in 1189 by D. Sancho I but later returned to the Arabs power and afterwards, in 1250 D. Afonso III reconquested it. These are the remains after the destruction provoked by the 1755 earthquake.
Praça da República, 28
The building of the Jesuit College was founded in 1660 from the project of Bartholomew Duarte. The College has a church nave, the widest of Portimão. Currently, in the side of the building, bodies are installed the Parish Council, the Museum of painting and the support center for the elderly.
Rua Machado dos Santos
The Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Conceição was built in the late 15th century, damaged by the earthquake of 1755, after being the target of reconstructions in the 18th century. A new reconstruction in the 19th century gave him the current setting. Of the original building stands the Gothic portal with gilded capitals and Gargoyle.
Rua Doutor José Falcão
This Chapel is located in the city's old quarter, in face of the shipyards and the Largo da Barca, where there was a boat to cross the River before the construction of the bridge. From simple aspect, has the main port garnished the stonework.