Explore the best places
Monuments in Belmonte
Praça da República
Late-medieval building consisting of two wings and a tower. It was built in the late 15TH century, suffering after renovation works in 1854 and in 1896. Presents a simple rectangular plan, with two floors, with the clock tower.
Rua da Fonte da Rosa
Fica na zona da antiga Judiaria, na Rua Fonte da Rosa, e é muito procurada por judeus, que ali realizam as suas orações, e curiosos de outras religiões, que procuram saber mais sobre a comunidade judaica. Inaugurada em 1996, a Sinagoga apenas é visitável mediante marcação, que pode ser efetuada no Museu Judaico. Está orientada para Jerusalém e a sua designação é uma homenagem ao judeu benemérito que financiou a sua construção. A comunidade judaica tem ainda um cemitério próprio.
Largo de Santo António
This is a mannerist and baroque church dated from the 16th century. It is composed by a longitudinal plan with three naves in four ranks and a narrower main chapel. On the inside it is worth to mention two graves with coat of Arms, one is from the 17th century and the other from the 19th century.
Caminho de Santo Antão
Convent founded in 1563, intended for the friars of the third order Regular of St. Francis or the Friars Minor of St. Francis of Covilhã. In 1834 the convent was disbanded and later, in 2001, the space was transformed into a guesthouse by architect Luís Rebelo de Andrade.
The presence of Jews in Belmonte has been constant since the middle ages, although the forced conversion in 1496 have been born a crypto-Judaism which contributed to the dispersion of the Jewish community. It is believed that the ancient Jewish quarter was located in the so-called Neighborhood of Morocco, where supposedly was also the old synagogue, still Remain some traces of Jewish presence in the area, as the crosses carved on the jambs of some doors and Hebrew letters in several ashlars of the Castle.
Praça da República
Mannerist building with three floors, the presenting features of mannerist architecture. It was probably built in the 18th century or 19th century, having already belonged to Cabral family and Earls of Belmonte.
Travessa de São Tiago
This temple has a foundation previous to Dom Dinis Kingdom where the suspended vault stands out, as well as the flaming Gothic arch, the pulpit and some frescoes. On the Cabrais chapel, a familiar pantheon, there are several examples from Renaissance graves.
Rua Pedro Álvares Cabral
Bronze sculpture, with granite plinth, erected in 1961 in honor of the discoverer Pedro Alvares Cabral.
Largo 5 de Outubro
Church built in the 40 years of the 20th century, where stands the image of Nossa Senhora da Esperança, dating from the 14th century, who say they have accompanied Pedro Álvares Cabral in the journey of discovery of Brazil.
Estrada da Torre
Roman building of three floors, which was reused during the middle ages as a defensive Tower. It is unknown if your primitive function, being associated with various legends and theories. Features spans of lintel straight without frame, being the composition of elevations. Was formerly also known as Tower of St. Cornelius.