Castro de Monte Mozinho
Located about 8 km away from Penafiel, this is one of the celtic villages of the parish, named Citânia do Monte Mozinho, probably the largest in the Iberian Peninsula. It occupies a high part of the mountain, at an altitude of 408 metres. From there one can view the Marão Mountain (to the East) and the Montemuro Mountain (to the South). Elísio Ferreira started the excavations in 1943. In 1974, after a 20 years interval, they restarted and the findings are to be seen in the Municipal Museum of Penafiel. The findings confirm that there was a roman time occupation, with a special note to the warrior statues and to the amphors. The "castro" was built in 19 bC, once the roman conquest was finished, and once had a walled area of 20 ha. After the second century aD, the village was progressively abandined and lost its importance.
- Easy external parking
- Archeological sites
Monuments near Castro de Monte Mozinho
Casa de Ribaboa
An old stone house.
Igreja de Croca
Church with Sundial in the tower.
Calvário de Capela
A set of seven stone crucifixes.
Capela da Honra de Barbosa
A chapel by the tower-house of Honra de Barbosa.