Velas

Candles, municipality with 119 km2 and about 5600 inhabitants, is one of two municipalities on the island of São Jorge. The village of candles was founded in the mid-15th century, having ascended the village before the end of this century. Its privileged position-on the South coast and with the morro grande and natural Bay to protect your village-enabled a rapid development in the 16th century, surpassing in importance, the other villages on the island, namely Calheta and Topo. Various disasters, such as volcanic eruptions, vulcãnicas (1580, 1757 and 1808), food crises and bad crop years (19TH century) and attacks of Corsairs (18TH 16th centuries), on the vila das Velas since its foundation. Already in the late 18TH century and the 19th century the Orange export resulted, economically, the County. Nowadays, ranching and agriculture continue to occupy a prominent position in the economy of the municipality. Despite its thin width, the County is quite hilly, and Pico da Esperança, its highest point, the 1053 meters of altitude. The near vertical cliffs along the coast are typical. However, are the cliffs (land cultivation plans along the coast, flanked by escarpments) that bounce in the sight of the tourist. Are, effectively, places of rare beauty, where the harmony between the vivicência of the people and the surrounding nature is worthy of record.

Where to eat in Velas

What to do in Velas

Where to sleep in Velas

Cantinho das Buganvílias Resort
Cantinho das Buganvílias Resort

Modern and luxurious House, located just 200 metres from the sea. Enjoy the privileged views over the islands of Pico and Faial while relaxing in the outdoor p…

Casa do António
Casa do António

This particular accommodation is ideal for those who want to stay calm and relaxing but near the Centre of the village. The welcoming rooms, individually decor…

Near Velas

Calheta de São Jorge

Calheta de São Jorge


The village of Calheta was founded in the late 15th century (1483) and developed quickly, therefore becoming the county seat from 1534. With the exti…