Explore the best places
Monuments in Aveiro
Rua Engenheiro Von Hafe, 20-22
This is one of the most emblematic buildings of the city, a fine specimen of the New Art. He currently works for a hotel.
Rua Belém do Pará
19th century building where the Lyceum of Aveiro. It is the first building to be built from scratch to install a secondary education institution.
Rua Capitão Lebre
Also known as Quinta de Verdemilho, this farmhouse was built between 1720 and 1750. Contains a shrine and rectangular plan, bypassed internally by a path. Near the gate and located near to the wall is a stone of arms with the arms of Quevedos or Pizarros and Sousas.
Rua Batalhão de Caçadores
The Cruzeiro de São Domingos, also known as Cruzeiro de Nossa Senhora da Glória is from the end of the XV century. The original transept is inside the Aveiro See since the 70ies. It is a quattrocentist cross with scenes of the Passion and death of Jesus Christ sculpted in low relief.
Largo de Santo António
Franciscan chapel funded in 1677, integrating the architectural ensemble of the Santo António Convent. In the XVIII century the walls were covered with azulejos (glazed tiles) from the Vital Rifarto workshop. The Casa do Despacho dates from 1682.
Rua de Coimbra, 27
This temple, engaged to the coimbrã Renaissance and former See was designed by Gregório Lourenço and its construction began in 1600. In 1608 the Casa do Despacho was built, in 1623 the body of the church and the main door and in 1653 the principal chapel. In the XVII the panel was placed and the inside covering was made with azulejos lisbonenses (glazed tiles). Already in the XVIII the principal chapel were golden and the golden woodcarving was placed at the nave screen. In 1767 the organ was executed. In the XX century works of repair and preservation were made. …
Rua João Mendonça, 24-25
Art Nouveau-style building with dormers with go in ' Japanese ', arc regional characteristic aveirense. Inside, the doors of the compartments are wooden with colored glasses. The handles one of the doors are worked, recalling a butterfly.
Rua Batalhão de Caçadores, 10
A stone wall carved with a niche where glimpsed a Nossa Senhora de Gothic trait is what is left in present-day Cathedral, the ancient Church of the Dominican convent (1423). Highlight to the side chapels, with a limestone altarpiece from the 16th century, and another with an altarpiece in carved wood where a statue of our Lady of the Rosary. In 1719 it was built a new Baroque façade and in the mid-18th century was built the choir and high ceiling, having been reformed the chancel. In 1860 the Bell Tower was built.
Largo de Santo António
Integrated Temple in a convent, founded in 1524. In 1564, the church underwent reform and enlargement works and a century later was rebuilt by is in ruins. During the 18th century was the target of numerous reforms, such as: application of gilt altarpiece of the main Chapel, placement of lateral altarpieces of the bow of the cruise, chancel flooring with tiles of Vital workshop historians Rifarto, choir stalls in the high choir, building and finishing the gilt and screens of the sacristy and cloister construction. Stands out by twin chapels of Santo António and São Francisco, protobarroca facade.