Explore the best places
Monuments in Montalegre
Our Lady of the assumption is the title given to Mary, mother of Jesus alluded to in her assumption into heaven. The feast of the assumption of Mary is celebrated on 15 August, in the village of Covelães. It is also known as Nossa Senhora da Glória or Nossa Senhora da Guia. This is the patron saint of the village.
Pitões das Junias
5470-370, Pitões das Junias
Cistercian Monastery which dates back probably to the 12th century, saving 40 important traces romantics, notably in longitudinal and Gothic church nave at the chancel. It is located on the right bank of the Campesinho River, at the point where the Mourela plateau meets the serra do Geres. Inside the Church identifies a major Altarpiece of Baroque style. Between the cloister and the cemetery, stands the Church of rectangular plant and with a chancel, a quota lower and narrower. On the main façade there is a double Bell ventana, flanked by two spires and topped by a cross and a …
Rua da Lage
Também conhecida como Igreja de São Miguel, esta igreja é de construção prévia ao século XI. Associada ao conhecido Padre Lourenço Fontes, encerra alguns segredos no seu interior, como um alçapão onde se esconde uma estela em pedra representando o que se pensa ser o deus Larouco.
Those who enter in jump and follows to the central zone of the town, is not indifferent to the imposing church image located at the top of the Rua Padre Manuel José Jorge, granitic in parallel. This is the ancient parish church, maybe the main icon of this village. It is a building of moth romantic, which was suffering some structural renovations over time. In the North and South walls of the nave you can see sections of perfection with which stones were superposed in the construction of the building. Shifted to the back of the Church, lined up in …
This bridge above Rabagão River has mediaeval origins. Its citizens called it “Well’s Bridge” or “Devil’s Bridge” due to its amazing physiognomy, granted by the steep ground. The bridge was probably used by General Soult troops to run away from national territory.
Terreiro do Açougue
Montalegre Castle represents an important point of border defense and ensured, along with the castles of Piconha and Keys, the defenses of the valleys of the Cávado and Tâmega. In 1273, the year of the first Charter granted the Montalegre by Dom Afonso III, the Castle did not yet exist, but in 1281, at least a part of it already stood in Montalegre, according a letter from d. Dinis d. Isabel. In the letter the King offered twelve castles, among which that of Montalegre. In 1289-1331, during the reign of d. Afonso IV, the castle is rebuilt. In the 19th …
Vilar de Perdizes
5470-460, Vilar de Perdizes
Anthropomorphic burial excavated in a granite outcrop, where they see some signs of other, located on the road that borders the Church. Presents 1.82 meters long by 0.20 meters wide to head, at the head a little tear, horizontally, which may have served to cover fitting. The fact that the site serve as public path causes the State of preservation of these graves if degrade even further.
Vilar de Perdizes
5470-461, Vilar de Perdizes
Roman altar found in October 1969, when opening the road 508, in the axis of via. Dedicated to God Larouco, is in almost every way identical to ara dedicated to Jupiter, both found in the same location and under the same circumstances. Was buried, about 1.5 meters deep, the same place where they were found several fragments of "tegullae". Together the two aras was even found a circular sink with hole at the bottom. Currently, can be found in the warehouse of the City Council of Montalegre.
Castro located between Solveira, Santo André and crows at the end of the Stream of the field, about 900 meters above sea level. On the coasts of castro, on the West side and in a vast area, there are several concentrations of stone from collapses of structures, well-defined walls alignments and numerous ceramic fragments of Roman typology. Despite all these traces are hidden by dense vegetation, it is clear the existence of this important village, where there was no lack of including the space for the dead. Identify at least three graves excavated in the rocky outcrop, without anthropomorphic format. …
Praça do Município
Building dating from the early 19TH century, after being refurbished at the end of the Decade of 70. At this point, suffered profound changes in its structure, with emphasis on the advancement of the facade with coverage and balcony that opens on the terreiro do toural. Here they ran various social institutions, such as the finance, the Bureau of internal revenue, the offices of the Peneda-Gerês National Park, and the post office. In front of this building is the "gallows oak", where they were tragically punished criminals, until 1844.