Igreja do Bom Jesus de Matosinhos
A Renaissance building of the 16th century, that underwent remodellation works in the 18th century according to plans by Nicolau Nasoni. Inside the temple, a special note to some of the most important golden carvings by baroque artists in the north of the country. A special note also to its two bell towers, the main door decorated by a medalion with a shell, and the two lateral niches of statues of Saint Peter and Saint Paul. Inside, one can find the golden carved high altar that has a niche with the image of Christ on the cross, the most ancient in the country, from the 12th/13th centuries.
Rua Silva Cunha, 107
- Churches, Chapels & Temples
Monuments near Igreja do Bom Jesus de Matosinhos
Busto de António Nobre
A tribute monument to António Nobre, the famous Portuguese poet.
Capela de Santana
A baroque chapel built in the 18th century that underwent large works in the 20th century. The façade is covered by pattern tiles.
Capela de Santo António do Telheiro
A neoclassicist chapel, dating back to the 18th century, with a longitudinal plan and the interior decorated with neoclassicist retables. In 1956 the main faça…
Escultura de Zulmiro de Carvalho
Sculpture by Zulmiro de Carvalho, with about fifteen feet long, its immense fountains that night light, providing a nice visual spectacle.