Integrated in the district of Portalegre, Alentejo region, the landscape of Monforte is marked by the mountains of Amendoeira, Sete and Vaimonte. Activities linked to the primary sector stand out throughout the municipality, marked by agriculture, through the cultivation of cereals, and livestock farming. Works in cork, wood, stone, horn and lakeshore bulrush stand out in the region's handicrafts, designed by artisans from the municipality. The manufacture of leather clothing and the region's traditional cheese are carried out by small companies. When it comes to gastronomy, chickpea with pork is one of the typical dishes that, in past times, the harvesters did not do without. "Charutos", made with flour, sugar, anise, olive oil, lard, water and salt, feature in traditional sweets.
What to do in Monforte
Castelo da Vila de Monforte
Castle located on top of a very strong hill, which gave rise to the name of the village. Currently, only a few remains remain, one of the medieval towers and some sections of the wall. Conquered by King Afonso Henriques in 1139, this town was populated by King Afonso III in 1257. In 1512 King Manuel granted it a new …
Museu de Monforte
Museum hub operating inside the old Madalena church. The exhibition center consists of archaeological pieces relating to the Roman presence in northern Alentejo.
Capela de São João Baptista
Temple dating back to the 1800s, whose Mannerist remains can be found in the portal. The baroque is present in the facade with towers and profuse decoration.
Igreja da Madalena
14th century temple renovated in the 17th century. It has a galilee with four arches and a bell tower from the 16th century.
Capela do Senhor da Boa Morte
Temple with a revivalist style, dating from the end of the 1800s, with neo-baroque characteristics.
Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Conceição
Church with buttresses topped by pinnacles and the entire top is battlemented. On the main façade, the portico, topped by an oculus, has a round arch, supported on pilasters and with a triangular pediment. Inside it has a single nave, …
Ponte Romana sobre a Ribeira de Monforte
Roman granite bridge, made up of five full arches and four short and wide jetties downstream and upstream. It was part of the road system that linked Olisipo to Emerita.
Biblioteca Municipal de Monforte
Modern building with all the necessary equipment for reading and leisure.
Praia Fluvial de Monforte
River beach next to the old bridge over Ribeira Grande, with restaurant, toilets, children's playground and bar.
Ruínas do Convento do Bom Jesus de Monforte
Ruins that show the existence of a Franciscan convent. The cloister's arches and the tile panel, with baroque characteristics, are shown.
Jardim Poeta António Sardinha
Triangular-shaped garden, with leafy trees and beautiful flower beds. A small circular tank with water deserves to be highlighted.
Piscinas Municipais de Monforte
Modern building, offering residents a space to practice swimming and related activities.
Villa Lusitano-Romana de Torre de Palma
It is one of the largest and most important archaeological sites from Roman and medieval times on the Peninsula. From the town of Basilii, the foundations, the walls, floors and structures that were below ground are preserved. Among the finds …
Where to eat in Monforte
Where to sleep in Monforte
The Palm Wine Tower Hotel, five star hotel located next to the village of Monforte, Vaiamonte, opened on April 2, 2014, under the soft opening. Inspired by the…
Estate located in the heart of the Alto Alentejo, where you will find the main house, with typical Alentejo architecture, surrounded by Oaks and holm oaks. The…
Ponte de Sor
With an area that exceeds the 800 square kilometers, Ponte de Sor, elevated the town July 8, 1985, is the largest municipality of the District of Por…
The municipality of Gavião belongs to the district of Portalegre, in the North of Alentejo, at the confluence of the Alentejo with Ribatejo and Beira…
The picturesque town of Nisa is part of the Portalegre district and its landscape is inseparable from the Tagus and Sever rivers and from the São Mig…
Located in the upper Alentejo, the municipality of Arronches is part of the Portalegre district. Bathed by the Caia River, water plays a fundamental …