Sortelha is one of the oldest small towns in the entire country. Located on the top of a rocky hill at an altitude of more than 760 metres. With excellent defensive conditions, it was inhabited, at first, by castros (celtic villages) and, much later, it was peopled by the king Dom Sancho II. Of the medieval castle, that was several times transformed, some defensive towers, the donjon and some gothic gates along the walls still remain. A special note to the 14th century mother church, with baroque carvings on the high altar from the 18th century.
Villages near Sortelha
Located on a foothill, it was important for the country's defenses during the independence struggles. It became a part of Portugal during the reign of Dom Dini…
Located on a foothill, this is one of the old villages in the parish with strong rural and cultural traditions. The majority of the inhabitants are farmers. A …
Located on the right bank of the Côa river, to the north of the Malcata mountain, it became a part of the Portuguese territory in 1296 as a result of the Treat…
Vila do Touro
Donated to the Templars by Dom Afonso II, this village still has some important military features. There are just a few vestiges of the old castle. Currently, …
The castle of the old town is located at its highest point and stands out in all the surrounding areas. An old 16th century engraving, of Duarte D'Armas, shows…