The village of Alandroal, in the immediate vicinity of Guadiana Valley, owes its name to the existence of alandros or aloendros, this wood being a raw material for the local craftsmen, in that area. It is said that there was never an epidemic in Alandroal, which attracted a lot of people, including the Duke of Bragança, precisely because of the existence of vast forests with these bushes. The village is located at about 340 meters above sea level and received Carta de Foral in 1486 by Dom João II. The former municipalities of Terena and Juromenha were annexed to Alandroal municipality in the 19th century. The village of Villarreal, situated in the municipality of Olivenza (Spain), was a town of the former Juromenha county. The local cuisine includes migas (dish made with leftover bread) with pork, gazpacho, cation soup and lamb stew.
Where to eat in Alandroal
This rustic restaurant has three rooms and serves regional dishes. A special note to the lamb "enso…
A rustic restaurant located in an old barn of a close by manor. It aims to recreate a pateo of the …
O restaurante Hortelã da Ribeira, na povoação de Montes Juntos, no Alandroal, é um espaço simples, …
This restaurant has magnificent views and a wide menu of specialities of the Alentejo region. A spe…
Restaurant belonging to the rural tourism unit with the same name, located in the historic town of …
What to do in Alandroal
Fortaleza de Juromenha
The castle of Moorish origin and later reformed by Dinis, only traces remain of the fence. Built during the wars of the restoration, the works made down the bastions defensive lines to the vicinity of the Guadiana river, natural border line. The existing buildings are evidence of the old town and the Home of the Senate, in ruins.
Castelo de Alandroal
With an important medieval castle donjon. This fortification worth mentioning the door flanked by towers and a horseshoe arch, marble in the region. In the tower and chain on the door Cool there are remains of Moorish architecture and Gothic commemorative tombstones of the work. Situated on a site overlooking the town, this may be seen a beautiful landscape of …
Castro do Castelo Velho
Fortified village, with plant irregular, having been used and modified at different times, particularly in the Chalcolithic, Bronze age, iron age and Islamic Era. Presents housing structures limited by defensive structures with traces of walls, towers and access doors.
Igreja Matriz do Alandroal / Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Conceição
Church of Manueline, Baroque and neoclassical architecture consisting of a nave and a chancel with access to the sacristy and the choir. Is inside the Castle, located near the donjon.
Fonte de Alandroal / Fonte Monumental da Praça
Baroque fountain of rectangular plant with frontispiece of pilasters crowned by fogaréus. It is located in a central point of the village, on Praça da República. Has an 18th-century coat of arms flanked by two sculptures. The source has six …
Castelo de Terena
Located on top of a hill, this castle was the defense line of the Guadiana. Consists of a walled enclosure, with cubelos, keep and two doors, one of which is flanked by towers. The documentary version assigns this work factory …
Capela da Boa-Nova / Santuário de Nossa Senhora da Assunção da Boa Nova
Founded by vote of Dona Maria, wife of Alfonso XI of Castile, this Chapel-fortress of Greek cross vaulted fully. At the top of the main façade stands the Bell Tower with a bronze Bell. The building is crowned, all around, …
Where to sleep in Alandroal
The Guadiana river serves as a frame to a landscape in warm tones the Alentejo. Located in Alandroal, near Évora, Juromenha houses are a set of six peaceful vi…
Integrated in the historical centre of Terena, 30 metres from the Castle, you will find this historic house with a great location and views of the landscape of…
Arraiolos is inserted in the middle of the Alentejo plain, in the district of Évora. Its natural beauty and the famous tapestries of Arraiolos attrac…
Vila Viçosa already exists as village since the early days of the Christian Reconquest situated in a Valley, known as Lush. Was in 1270 that Dom Afon…
Reguengos de Monsaraz
Reguengos de Monsaraz belongs to the District of Évora and is limited, to the Southwest, by imposing the Guadiana river. The past of this municipalit…
Montemor-o-Novo is with an area of 1450 square kilometers one of the largest municipalities in Portugal. Santiago do Escoural ruins indicate a presen…