Reguengos de Monsaraz

Reguengos de Monsaraz belongs to the District of Évora and is limited, to the Southwest, by imposing the Guadiana river. The past of this municipality dates back to prehistoric times, as evidenced by the remarkable amount of archaeological monuments. Any reference to Reguengos has noted the village of Monsaraz, which was the county seat until 1838 and is the oldest Portuguese settlements south of the Tagus. Monsaraz was conquered from the Moors, but only d. Sancho II was able to win in final; in the 13th century, already enjoyed some legal privileges, and obtained the first letter of foral by d. Afonso III. It was during the 19th century the seat passed to Reguengos, since access to Monsaraz were difficult and their absolutist ideals had been defeated in the Liberal wars. The passage of Reguengos de Monsaraz town is another important milestone in the history of the County. The environmental qualities of the region inviting visitors to practice outdoor activities. In addition to the remarkable historical heritage, Reguengos will be forever associated with enhanced quality wines, to the strong flavors of gastronomy and handicrafts.

Best restaurants in Reguengos de Monsaraz

Best Of Reguengos de Monsaraz

view more