Castelo de Alcobaça
Installed on a rise about 70 meters west of the monastery, Alcobaça Castle was sent to build by d. Afonso Henriques in 1147, on the presumed ruins of a fortification from the 6th century, as part of an important defensive line of the Lisbon region. Repeatedly devastated at the time of the Reconquista, d. Sancho ordered its reconstruction to house the monks alcobacenses and the population in the event of an attack. After suffering several earthquakes (1329, 1422 and 1563), turned out to serve as a prison in Filipes. Presenting itself in a State of ruin in the 18TH century, exacerbated by the earthquake of 1755, it was only in the Decade of 1950 which proceeded to de-cluttering and reconstruction of part of the Castle. Nowadays, there are seven quadrangular cubelos and a turret. Moorish, the Albarrana Tower, also known as "Tower of seven townhouses", stands on the East side, and that have housed the prison until 1755.
Rua do Castelo
- Easy external parking
- Castles & Fortresses
Monuments near Castelo de Alcobaça
Chalé Fonte Nova
Villa romantic, with residential architecture features of late romanticism and decorated Gables and pitched roofs.
Escultura de Homenagem à Família Vieira Natividade
Pelourinho-shaped sculpture, honoring Manuel Vieira Natividade, António Vieira Natividade and Joaquim Vieira Natividade.
Escultura de Homenagem ao 25 de Abril
Cylindrical stone sculpture located on John of God Ramos in the Centre of Alcobaça.