Explore the best places
Rua de São Filipe de Nery
It is, surely, the jewel of the city. A masterpiece of the Tuscan architect Nicolau Nasoni, the Tower built between 1731 and 1763 is a magnificent work of stonework, 75 meters high and whose 240 steps of the spiral staircase lead to a balcony located at the top and from where one can enjoy the gratifying views of the city and its surroundings.
Praça da Ribeira
A must visit place, the Praça da Ribeira is the widest space in this historical area of the city. Decorated by the fountain of St. John and the controversial "Cube", the square is a place of very popular esplanades and bars.
Entre a Avenida Vímara Peres e a Ponte Dom Luís
The Porto city had, along its history, at least two lines of walls, one Romanic and the other Gothic. From the Gothic wall, built between 1336 and 1376, known as Muralha Fernandina there are few visible remains.
Avenida dos Aliados
A Avenida dos Aliados, inicialmente Avenida das Nações Aliadas, foi aberta em 1916, nos terrenos a norte da Praça da Liberdade. Do projeto inicial, nasceu uma avenida rodeada de prédios de grande beleza arquitetónica e com alguns jardins, jardins que desapareceram mais tarde com a reformulação pelas mãos dos arquitetos Álvaro Siza Vieira e Eduardo Souto Moura. No cimo desta avenida encontra-se a Câmara Municipal.
Rua Ferreira Borges
The Palácio da Bolsa was built in the middle of the 19th century by the Porto Commercial Association. In neoclassical style, this building reflects the commercial flourishing of the city of Porto. All the rooms on the noble floor offer details that prove the enormous sumptuary interest: in furniture, in chandeliers and above all in ceilings, some of valuable wood. However, all covered with a thin film of gold, the Arab hall is the room that best crowns the huge investment of the nineteenth century Porto bourgeoisie.
Praça do Infante Dom Henrique - Rua da Bolsa, 19
Built by the Companhia Aliança (Massarelos foundry), this is an important piece of the “Iron Architecture”. It presents several constructive and decorative elements which reveal the technical and plastic adequacy of the iron potentialities. This former fruit market- is presently a place of exhibitions and other cultural events.
Sobre o rio Douro
The Dom Luís Bridge has two metallic roadways, which were meant to connect the cities of Porto and Vila Nova de Gaia. It has 395 meters length and 8 meters width, consisting on 5, 5 metres of road and 1, 25 meters of walkways. The architect Teófilo Seyrig was in charge of the project. This construction was one of the greatest works carried out by the King Luís I.
Terreiro da Sé
The Cathedral (Sé) is the main church of the city of Porto. It was erected in the 12th and 13th centuries. The first mass was held in the year 1120. In the thirteenth century, changes were made that completely altered the main portal. Reconstructed in Baroque style, it has kept only the rosette of its original construction. Nicolau Nasoni was the author of a galilee on the north facade and also intervened in the decoration of the sacristy. The interior conserves the images of Our Lady of Vandoma (14th century), the "silver altar", an important Gothic cloister, the "old cloister", …
Praça da Batalha
The São João Theatre was open in 1798, at the present Praça da Batalha. This theatre, which became the binding meeting point to the romantic generation, was destroyed by a fire in April, 1908. Nowadays, the Companhia Nacional do Teatro São João, totally rebuilt by Marques da Silva, is one of the main buildings in the city and stage for the most important cultural shows of the city.
Praça Almeida Garrett
It was built at the beginning of the 20th century, in the place where the Convent of São Bento da Ave-Maria had previously existed. The atrium of the building deserves special mention, since it is covered by magnificent panels of tiles by Jorge Colaço.