Housed in a mountain area, with units arriving to hit 985 m, municipality of Trancoso enjoys a climate of altitude, with hot summers and harsh winters that provide Frost and, sometimes, the Icicle. Well served by hydrographic features, like the Douro basins to the North and South of the Mondego, the County is traversed by rivers such as the Távora (which there has source) or Ribeira de Teja, which gave rise to the barrage of Teja and that represents one of the most important water reserves in the region. Aware of the natural wealth of the County, found in Trancoso a historical heritage and built, both criminal and civil, which States as one of the most significant historical collections in the country, visited annually by thousands of people. Of the parish churches of Santa Maria and São Pedro, Casa dos Arcos, from the 16th century, the igreja da Misericórdia, the home of the black cat (a curious building of the old Jewish quarter) or the pillory, beautiful piece of purest Manueline style, without forgetting the medieval castle which crowns the city. This historic centre, retaining their medieval moth almost unchanged, earned him the integration into the network of historical villages of Portugal who, along with the implementation of new urban equipment and hoteliers, has boosted the recent strong development of Trancoso. The wisdom and ancestral flavors are present in the gastronomy of the municipality, which enjoys wide variety and relevance. To highlight the cuisine based on products of the County, like the queijo da serra, honey, olive oil and chestnuts, apples or nuts. The tradition also is echoed at the fairs which enliven Trancoso, as the market for Fridays, one of the largest in the region, and the annual fair of St. Bartholomew, founded on August 8, 1273 by Royal Charter of d. Afonso III, considered the oldest in the country and free fair today held in the third week of this month.
What to do in Trancoso
Portas D'El Rei
The doors D'El Rei are the main entrance to the walled enclosure that surrounds the city, located in the southern part, between two embattled towers. On the outside, feature a bow down and, inside, an arch in warhead. Emphasis on the shield of the city, in stone.
Castelo e Muralhas de Trancoso
It is unknown if the early history of this castle, dating from the Roman times, visigóticos and Islamists. Despite having suffered several destructions due to wars, the historic core maintains its monumentality, in particular due to its defensive curtains. The primitive Castle, the Citadel, a walled remain with five towers and donjon, the pyramidal frustum and the walls surrounding the …
Parque Municipal de Trancoso
Broad and leafy Park, built in 1896, whose trees are classified as public interest Grove.
Portas do Prado
Integrated doors in the walls that surround the city, located in the northwestern part, with two sentry boxes on the sides. On the inside, there is a ladder that leads to the top of the walls, where you can enjoy …
Necrópole de Trancoso
This is a joint of seventeen anthropomorphic tombs engraved on the rocks and located to Trancoso walls north west part. They are engraved in rocks outcrops dating, probably from the mediaeval period.
Campo da Batalha de Trancoso
This cultural landmark marks the spot where, in may 1384, the battle of Trancoso. This battle was fought between some of the region, who defended their lands of the Castilians.
Pelourinho de Trancoso
This is a Manueline pillory composed by an octagonal shaft with an iron truss topped by a capital that stands a head with eight small columns and finishing it there is a armillary sphere with a iron Cross.
Casa Quinhentista com Balcão / Quartel General de Beresford
House probably built between the sixteenth and the early seventeenth century, consisting of a trapezoidal plan that forms a single volume with two floors and roof coverage of three waters. In 1809\/1810, is here installed the headquarters of William Carr …
Ruínas do Castelo de Moreira de Rei
This Fortress construction is placed on the 18th century, even though some historians refer the existence of buildings previous to the Moorish conquest on the 10th century. It is said that Moreira do Rei owes it name to D. Sancho …
Casa Judaica / Casa do Gato Negro
House probably built in 1530, composed by a trapezoidal plan with two storeys and gable roof coverage. According to oral tradition, it is an Ancient Synagogue or Rabbi's House.
Solar dos Costas, Lopes e Tavares / Palácio Ducal
Late-Baroque Manor House, probably built in the second half of the 18th century, with irregular L-shaped plant and with two floors. Presents various bodies adossados the facade and roof coverage of four waters. In the 20th century, worked as a …
Solar da Torre do Terrenho e Capela de Nossa Senhora da Penha / Solar dos Brasis
This manor house has two floors with an irregular rectangular plan. It is composed by the main building, a tower with three floors and one attached chapel. It was constructed on the first half of the XVIII century, standing out …
Up to date tourist information about the city's top attractions
Historical Villages: 12 Treasures to Discover in Portugal
Located in the countryside, these villages preserve a vast and very rich historical and patrimonial legacy. There are c…
Military Tourism: 12 locations not to be missed in Portugal
Portugal has a long tradition of castles, maritime forts and other military constructions. Discover a Military Tourism …
Where to eat in Trancoso
Restaurant housed in a restored Manor House, with ample rooms with rustic decor, offering beautiful…
O restaurante Dom Gabriel, em Trancoso, localiza-se no centro da localidade, num edifício coberto a…
Simple and modern space located on the ground floor of a Villa, serving traditional Portuguese cuis…
Where to sleep in Trancoso
Hotel situated 150 metres from the historical centre of Trancoso. It is located between the Douro Superior, the Archaeological Park of the Coa and the Serra da…
Terenho's House is a building of 19TH-century rural architecture, built in granite and wood, having been restored and modernized. It is located at the entrance…
The municipality of Meda has an approximate area of 296 km2 and encompasses 16 parishes, with a population of around 8 000 inhabitants. Because it is…
Gouveia is located on the western slope of the Serra da Estrela mountains, offering fantastic views over the Mondego valley. It is one of the almost …
Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo
At about 50 km to the north of Guarda, to which district it belongs, and very close to the border with Spain, Figueira de Castelo Rodrigo is owner of…
It is a small municipality located on the eastern slope of serra da Estrela and in the river Zêzere. It is part of Vale Glaciar do Zêzere, a space vi…