The municipality of Bombarral, situated in the western region, south of Leiria's district, continues to be marked by a strong agricultural activity, in particular in the production of quality wines. In historical terms, this territory shows traces of human fixation since the beginning of prehistory, which can be found in some archaeological remains, such as the Neolithic fortification of Columbeira's village and the Castro de São Mamede. But there are more attractions to be visited in Bombarral. For lovers of Motorsports, the Kartódromo Internacional do Oeste (Western International Go-kart Track) makes the delights of the four wheels supporters. Nowadays the Buddha Eden Garden is one of the main tourist attractions of the municipality. If you prefer nature, enjoy a stroll in the Mata Municipal do Bombarral forest, in the serra do Picoto or garden of Quatro Estações. Be sure to visit the Municipal Museum of Bombarral, the religious patrimony of the municipality and to check the local crafts, with emphasis on the artistic dishes, the tiles and the wickerwork. When it comes to the world of flavors, Bombarral is known for the roasted lamb. In confectionery the doces mimosos (typical sweets) and the pão-de-ló da avó (sponge cake) make the delights of the visitors. Wine lovers have the opportunity to go along the Rota da Vinha e do Vinho do Oeste routs and pay a visit to one or more of the approximately 25 wine production farms.
Where to eat in Bombarral
Recentemente renovado, em nome do conforto e da modernidade, o restaurante Dom josé, localizado no …
A simple and familiar space, located on a villa's ground floor, that serves traditional Portuguese …
Supatra's restaurant is a landmark of Thai cuisine in Portugal. Open since 1991, and now in new pre…
What to do in Bombarral
Bacalhôa Buddha Eden
On a farm with 35 hectares was born an oriental garden in a century-old forest, next to a lake and along a green area, with a large expanse of vineyards. With three hundred statues of Buddhist art, this oriental Garden was designed and conceived by Comendador José Berardo in response to the destruction of the Giant Buddhas of Bamyan. The …
Museu Municipal do Bombarral
Inaugurated in 1990, this museum is located in the Gorjão palace, the old manor of the Coimbra family, that goes back to the 17th century. It features temporary sculpture, painting, drawing and tapestry exhibitions, among others. It also features theme …
Quinta das Cerejeiras
This Thursday is a 17TH century tile Panel, a small Museum and a wine shop with several products from the farm.
Capela do Carvalhal / Igreja do Santíssimo Sacramento
Church founded by the Queen Dona Leonor in early 16TH century. Remodelled in the 18th century, also date from this time, the Bell Tower. The interior, with three naves, is coated the tiles from the 17th century. Note-If the original …
Palácio Gorjão / Palácio dos Coimbras
This building was constructed on the 17th century. It possesses noble façades where the doorway with a Coat of Arms and the bay windows stand out. Currently it is the Regional Museum.
Santuário do Bom Jesus do Carvalhal / Igreja Paroquial de São Pedro de Finisterra
Sanctuary with various eras of construction, with a plant irregular and eclectic architecture. Inside, a painting on canvas, dating from the 18TH century, representing São Salvador.
Capela da Madre de Deus
Mannerist Chapel of rectangular plan consists of nave and a chancel. Magnification in the late works suffered from the 16th century. Inside, a mural on the ceiling of the Church, representing the Virgin with the child Jesus.
Capela de São Brás / Ermida de São Brás
The facade of this temple rips on a small galilé alpendrada. The interior is coated by 16th century tiles. It features a 16th century altarpiece and a stone image of the Patron Saint.
Azulejos da Guerra Penínsular - Combate de Roliça
Tile panel depicting the Battle of Roliça, fought the August 17, 1808. This was one of the battles of the Peninsular War, which put face to face two coalition armies, one led by the British, which Portugal was part and …
Torre do Carvalhal / Torre dos Lafetás / Torre dos Lajeitas
The accurate date for this tower construction is unknown, but according to a document it already existed on the first half of the thirteenth century. Supposedly it was donated by D. Sancho the second to a noble.
A small picturesque village with traditional houses and the vestiges of an old roman villa. Its name, Columbeira, comes from the Latin "Columbeiriu", meaning an underground sepulchre. There are several caves with skeletons and roman vestiges.
Edifício dos Paços do Concelho de Bombarral
Former Palace in the Hague, rebuilt in 1751. It was then adapted the Paços do Concelho in 1949. Includes the garden and the forest with forest species, which constitute a valuable heritage.
Ermida de São Mamede
Chapel of nave and chancel and popular architecture. In the interior, highlighted by a choir-high with balustrade based on two wooden columns.
Mata Municipal do Bombarral
The most important green space in town, with a total of about four hecatres of woods. It used to be a hunting ground, then became a private garden and, later on, a municipal park. An area of ecological balance.
This cave was discovered by accident in 1961, during works for the exploration of a mine. Several utensils and stone artefacts have been found here. Nonetheles, the most important find was the discovery of a Neanderthal man's tooth, abouth 30 …
Serra do Picoto
A rough natural area with landscapes of great natural beauty. On the top of the hill, there is a big ston crucifix that signals the battle between the French and Portuguese-English armies, on August 17, 1808, during the first napoleonic …
Edifício do Teatro Eduardo Brazão
Italian classical theatre in Horseshoe, very rare in Portugal. Inside, the structure of wooden cabins with Golden stucco decorative applications. The eclectic decorative elements are visible, too, in the Hall: the walls decorated by frames with shell motifs and festoons …
Where to sleep in Bombarral
It can be said that Nazaré, and the settlement of the promontory that gave rise to it (Sítio), was born of the conditions and the religious sentiment…
Located in the extreme northwest of the District of Leiria, Pedrógão Grande County is inserted in the area of the Northern pine forest, considered th…
Ansião is a small village in the district of Leiria with about 2500 inhabitants and it is the seat of a municipality that, with around 14,000 people …
Caldas da Rainha
This is one of the urban centers of Oeste region that met one of the greatest developments in recent decades, logging more than 50 thousand inhabitan…