Estremoz is one of the oldest Portuguese towns and its wines are produced in the region of denominação de origem controlada (Protected Designation of Origin). In addition to several classified monuments, the region also has palaces, farms, waterwheels and lots of high-value agricultural hills. This village of the Alentejo was once occupied by the Romans and subsequently by the Arabs, who remained for several centuries and left an important legacy. It was only and definitely taken by the Portuguese in the 13th century. It is internationally known for its white marble quarries. The exploitation of Estremoz marble has a very ancient origin, as proved by the Roman Temple of Évora, containing marble sourced from Estremoz. It is also present in the main altar of Évora Cathedral. The pieces worked in clay, the cork items and clothing made in leather are the most significant examples of the local crafts. The lamb stew, soup of cation, jennet roasted in the oven and the migas (dish made with leftover bread) are the typical dishes that you should try!
Where to eat in Estremoz
Unique space in Estremoz, combines the aspects of traditional cuisine restaurant and grocery store,…
Located in the building of the old county jail. More than 500 years old, the place was recovered an…
A traditional cellar with long benches and a typical decor, whose menu has well prepared regional d…
What to do in Estremoz
Castelo de Estremoz
Castle of pentagonal plant about reinforced by buttresses torreados. The walled enclosure of the ancient Citadel stands around the Tower of homage, in white marble with 27 meters high. Beyond the fence, the medieval town presents a vast expanse of fortifications at the time of the war of the restoration, with embattled towers and two gates of round arch. Near …
Padrão do Ameixial
This Padrão celebrates the 8th June of 1663 Battle. It presents a platform arranged in degrees with three steps, with a square plan and column settled in a base pedestal and framed torus with Roman symbols painted in one of …
Igreja de Santa Maria
This is a fifteen hundreds temple, placed next to the Castle. It is considered one of the most important religious works on the Renaissance final phase in the Alentejo area. Its filling includes the tombstones with the most remarkable Portuguese …
Convento dos Congregados de São Filipe Néri
Construction of 18th-century principles, worked as Palace of d. Constantino de Bragança, Viceroy of India and later as a convent. To highlight the work of masonry and tiles illustrating scenes from the life of St. Philip of Neri, and beauty …
Edifício do Águia D'Ouro
Eclectic building, eccentric, as can be seen through the use of several colors, geometric shapes and materials, a fact which shows the late Art Nouveau style of this construction. Currently serves up Cafe and restaurant and is the region's best-known …
Vila Medieval de Évora Monte
The name of this village is the result of its location, a lot with 500 meters of altitude. This top was built the Castle. The sights that this place provides are magnificent.
Vila Romana de Santa Vitória do Ameixial
Ruins of an agricultural village, surrounded by solid masonry wall, with housing and public buildings. Preserves part of the peristyle with mosaic floors which form geometric patterns and also part of a thermal building. Is classified as a national monument.
Igreja do Convento de São Francisco
It has a longed rectangular plan with the transept drawing the Latin cross. From the behead it only remains the polygonal apse chapel on the south band. The frontage it is divided into two stakes and it is topped by …
Capela de Nossa Senhora dos Mártires
14TH-century Gothic temple with flying buttresses and porch. Presents composite plant by horizontal articulation of apse with body of ship, entirely built on thin cut marble Ashlar, with ship covered with gable roof supported by flying buttresses of Cyma pending …
Castelo de Évora Monte
Castle situated on a rugged Hill on the western edge of the Sierra de Ossa. The original fortification remain the fence and gates of the reign of King Dinis. Inside the walls the highlight goes to the Paço de Hommage, …
Castelo de Veiros (vestígios)
The medieval fortification subsists, in primitive dimensions, flanked by round turrets and several medieval gates. During the war of the restoration in 1662, the Marquis of Caracena destroyed the donjon.
Centro Ciência Viva de Estremoz
A learning space where the visitors may touch, fel, discover and try out phenomena though the exhibited objects.
Miradouro do Castelo de Évora Monte
Located at an altitude of 474 metres, the Castle of Évora Monte has great views of the Alentejo plains. From the north side one may view the São Mamede Mountain. From the south, one views the houses in Évora and …
Pelourinho de Estremoz
This is a pillory in white marble, rebuilt by reusing former elements settled in octagonal base with three steps and decoration on the column. It possessed a Cross and an iron Crown but they were removed on the recovery done …
Antiga Igreja e Convento das Maltesas
Building composed of Church, cloister and convent area. This former manor was a nunnery and Maltese hospital da misericórdia. Currently works as a church and is one of the poles of the University of Évora.
Where to sleep in Estremoz
Rural tourism located in Alentejo, where strong colors of Alentejo. At night, the music and the candles scattered around the garden and lounge create a special…
Situated in the castle of Estremoz, warrant lift for Dom Diniz for his wife, Queen Santa Isabel, this space presents peculiar décor, consisting of museum piece…
Arraiolos is inserted in the middle of the Alentejo plain, in the district of Évora. Its natural beauty and the famous tapestries of Arraiolos attrac…
Vila Viçosa already exists as village since the early days of the Christian Reconquest situated in a Valley, known as Lush. Was in 1270 that Dom Afon…
Reguengos de Monsaraz
Reguengos de Monsaraz belongs to the District of Évora and is limited, to the Southwest, by imposing the Guadiana river. The past of this municipalit…
Montemor-o-Novo is with an area of 1450 square kilometers one of the largest municipalities in Portugal. Santiago do Escoural ruins indicate a presen…