Vila Viçosa already exists as a village since the early days of the Christian reconquest, located in a valley known as Viçoso. It was in 1270 that King Afonso III gave it the category of village, naming it Vila Viçosa and granted it its first charter. The most prestigious monument is the Ducal Palace, former residence of the Dukes of Bragança since the beginning of the 16th century, whose construction began in 1501 and ended in the 18th century. Gastronomy is another highlight of the county. Among other delicacies, taste the traditional dogfish soup, tomato soup and Alentejo-style "migas". To go with it, there is always the superb Alentejo wine.
What to do in Vila Viçosa
Castelo de Vila Viçosa
Square-shaped castle surrounded by a moat and two cylindrical turrets. Access is via a classic Roman doorway. It is a rare example in the panorama of Portuguese military architecture, with the medieval fence, towers and doors coexisting with the Renaissance fortification. The Alcáçova dos Duques de Bragança stands out, with rooms with marble columns and ribbed vaults.
Paço Ducal de Vila Viçosa
16th century building, profoundly altered in the 18th century. Of the primitive construction, in the Manueline-Mudejar style, only the vaults, the doors of the ground floor dependencies and the cloister are preserved. Inside there are several paintings, with emphasis on the 15th century frescoes representing the capture of Azamor. Pay attention also to the furniture and tapestries.
Núcleo Urbano de Vila Viçosa
After the reconquest, at the end of the 13th century, there was a military reorganization, of which this set of medieval nuclei with the respective walls is part. This village knew two urban extensions, the second being, in the 16th century, the one that brought an increase in construction. It was at this time that, for example, the Ducal Palace …
Convento dos Agostinhos
Founded in the reign of King Afonso III, more precisely in 1267, it was dedicated to Nossa Senhora da Graça. Its destiny was to be the pantheon of the Dukes of Bragança. The façade of the monastery and the church …
Mata Municipal de Vila Viçosa
Forest area with picnic area, providing a good moment of contact with nature. Here you can breathe fresh air and enjoy a wide variety of tree species.
Museu de Arqueologia
Installed on the ground floor of the Castle citadel, it presents a collection consisting of objects collected in excavations carried out in the area. It includes a nucleus of the ancient archeology collection of King D. Luís.
Antigo Palácio dos Matos Azambuja
Former palace built in 1599, with a rectangular plan, with two floors and two bodies and a central courtyard, owned by the Matos Azambuja family. It later became the property of the Hintze Ribeiro family and, in 2007, it was …
Tapada Real de Vila Viçosa
One of King Carlos' favorite hunting grounds, the Tapada de Vila Viçosa, would come to be managed by the Fundação da Casa de Bragança. In 1981, the General Directorate of Forests bought 269 of the approximately 1200 hectares of the …
Convento das Chagas de Cristo
Second Order Franciscan Convent - Poor Clares. Rectangular in plan, it comprises a chancel, sacristy and cloister. Its collection is vast and includes interior chapels and altars built by the nuns and mural paintings, among other remains. Today it functions …
Terreiro do Paço
This yard has about sixteen thousand square meters and is rich in architecture. It contains, among other monuments of interest, the Palace of the Dukes of Bragança, the equestrian statue of D. João IV, Porta dos Nós and Porta da …
Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Conceição
Frontage divided into three spans, on each of which opens a simple portico with a squared frame carried by a simple pediment with a triangular cornice. Over each portico, there is a large rectangular window with a deep beveled frame. …
Varanda dos Namorados
Viewpoint that provides a charming panoramic view over the Castle, Terreiro do Paço and the streets of Velho Burgo Calipolense.
Igreja e Claustro do antigo Convento Real das Chagas de Cristo / Pousada Convento de Vila Viçosa
The Church is small in size, with the strangled apse forming the corner of the vast block occupied by the complex. The cymatium of the nave and the apse are interlocked in deeply framed masonry, ornamented by zoomorphic figuration gargoyles. …
Arquivo Histórico Municipal de Vila Viçosa
This archive is part of the City Council and Misericórdia document collections. It holds almost 2000 documentary references of various types from the 15th to the 19th century.
Where to eat in Vila Viçosa
Narcissus Fernandesii restaurant, inserted into the five-star hotel Alentejo Marmòris Hotel Spa &, …
Nice space, situated on the street of the same name, where you can enjoy a good pork Alentejo, the …
This restaurant is an alternative for their clients, case tickles your fancy run away from a tradit…
Simple and familiar space, suggesting dishes from traditional Portuguese cuisine at affordable pric…
A restaurant with a peaceful atmosphere and a modern decor that serves well prepared regional dishe…
Despite being a seafood restaurant and serving soup of cation as specialty, has other good quality,…
A "pousada" located in the old Convent of the Chagas de Cristo, of the 15th century, with a good re…
Where to sleep in Vila Viçosa
Where formerly operated the olive growers cooperative, is now the Alentejo Màrmoris & Hotel Spa. The hotel, decorated by architect Miguel Câncio Martins, stand…
This hostel is located in the convent of the wounds of Christ, having been recovered cells, retreats and oratorios. The result is a traditional, tranquil space…
Near Vila Viçosa
Reguengos de Monsaraz
Reguengos de Monsaraz belongs to the District of Évora and is limited, to the Southwest, by imposing the Guadiana river. The past of this municipalit…
The municipality of Vendas Novas-formerly part of the territory of Montemor-o-Novo-only account with two parishes and is just 60 kilometres from Lisb…
Arraiolos is inserted in the middle of the Alentejo plain, in the district of Évora. Its natural beauty and the famous tapestries of Arraiolos attrac…
Montemor-o-Novo is with an area of 1450 square kilometers one of the largest municipalities in Portugal. Santiago do Escoural ruins indicate a presen…