Inserted in the district of Portalegre, Campo Maior is situated in a large valley between the banks of Montezinho, to the west, and of São Pedro, to the east. It was populated by the Romans, then retaken by Castela from the Moors and it was only in May 31st 1297, after signing the peace treaty of Alcanizes, that it became part of the Portuguese territory. The presence of the Delta cafes company, whose owner is Comendador Manuel Rui Azinhais Nabeiro, much contributed for Campo Maior to be recognized in the industrial world. In addition to "designing" the county, it also largely contributed for the rural exodus decrease through the creation of jobs and the consequent improvement in the population's quality of life. With a natural heritage dominated by a flat landscape, Campo Maior also has several water areas, such as the barragem do Caia and the barragem do Abrilongo. Its construction was intended to serve as a basis for an extensive irrigation system, but it eventually gained prominence in the tourism sector due to favorable conditions for water sports and such. The gastronomy, with influences from Spain, relies mainly on potato soups, tomatoes, codfish, dogfish, the migas (dish made with leftover bread) with spare ribs, the gazpacho, beans with meat, the carne de porco à alentejana (dish made with pork meat, potatoes and clams) and acorda (kind of bread mash), all this accompanied with Campo Maior olives. The range of regional sweets include the sericaia (cake made with eggs and cinnamon) with plums, tosquiados (kind of almond cookies), bolos amassados (kind of cookies made with lemon), nogados (kind of cookies made with brandy and wrapped in honey) and tortilhas de amêndoa, grão e gila (almond, beans and pumpkin tortillas). The Festival of Flowers is one of several festivities taking place in the municipality. The streets, specially the historical center, are decorated with paper flowers and other objects of similar materials made by the residents of each street. However, this party is not performed cyclically, but whenever the population intends it to happen.
What to do in Campo Maior
Portas de Santa Maria
As Portas da Vila, também conhecidas como Portas de Santa Maria, são um dos monumentos mais característicos de Campo Maior, sendo também uma das principais entradas para a vila.
O edifício é do conceituado arquiteto Siza Vieira e alberga o projeto de Rui Nabeiro com a produção e venda de vinhos regionais. A Adega Mayor proporciona visitas guiadas, marcadas previamente, com a finalidade de mostrar todo o processo de vinificação, conhecer pormenores do edifício e degustar o vinho. No final, é possível adquirir, na loja Mayor, alguns produtos de …
Castelo de Campo Maior
Castle where are visible some cloths of wall, from medieval times and the North Tower with machicolations. 17TH century fortified waist, the moat and the contraescarpa in much of its length, ramparts, gates, barracks and ravelins. The Castle has two of the six towers, rectangular plant. In West Tower stands the frame manuelina. Highlights-a large living room, two ships divided …
Capela dos Ossos
Built in the year 1766 the capela dos ossos, also called the Chapel of souls, is annexed to the Church. The interior decoration includes human bones, a tribute to the dead in the catastrophe of 1732, who claimed 2\/3 of …
Space Museum opened in 2005 which disseminates and preserves the history of olive growing. Shows the process of cultivation and the olive harvest to processing into oil.
Povoado Pré-histórico de Santa Vitória
Prehistoric archaeological site, whose excavation discovered megalithic monuments.
Aldeia de Ouguela
This old medieval town is located at an altitude of 270 metres. Inside the walls of the old 17th century castle there are 17th and 18th centuries houses. Other houses are located at the "arrabalde", meaning out of the walls, …
Piscinas Municipais de Campo Maior
The swimming pool complex of Campo Maior features an indoor swimming pool and another outside.
Museu Aberto de Campo Maior
The Open Museum is the ideal space to know the history of the municipality of Campo Maior and its people, from prehistory to the present, without forgetting the permanent connection to Spain.
Igreja Matriz de Campo Maior
This monument was built between 1570 and 1646 and it possesses a main façade divided in three parts by incorporated pilasters. The central part presents a large round arch which forms a narthex outdone by three windows with three pediments. …
Castelo de Ouguela
Castle rebuilt by King Denis in 1310, undergoing restoration in the 18th century. The former fortification, situated high on a hill stands just a few pieces of wall and turrets, in addition to the seventeenth century fortifications, with cliffs, parapets …
Barragem do Caia
A dam located on a ragged soil of harvest lands and olive trees, on the Caia river. Sports and leisure are permitted in certain areas.
Palácio Visconde Olivã e Jardins / Biblioteca Municipal de Campo Maior
Seventeenth-century palace of protobarroca and Baroque architecture. It has a baroque garden with fountain and Pavilion decorated with vegetal elements and shell motifs in plaster.
Centro de Ciência do Café
This museum belongs to the Delta Café company and is one of the few coffee museums in the world, the only one in the Iberian Penincula.
Up to date tourist information about the city's top attractions
What to see in Campo Maior
Find out what tourist attractions you will not want to miss in the warm village of Campo Maior, near the Portuguese bor…
Where to eat in Campo Maior
A large, traditional space that serves typical dishes of the Alentejo region at moderate prices.
Medium-sized space, suggesting dishes from Alentejo regional cuisine. Lamb stew or soup of cation a…
Integrated in the Hotel Santa Beatriz, Hadrian's restaurant specialises in local gastronomy, some s…
Where to sleep in Campo Maior
Este projeto de turismo rural é composto por quatro grandes áreas: turismo, agropecuária, ecologia e meio ambiente. Nos seus mais de 400 hectares, dispõe de um…
Inserted in a property with about seven acres, the garden fence provides comfortable accommodation, in a setting of pure tranquility. The natural environment p…
Is situated near the dam of the Fall and offers two houses for accommodation: the Wisteria House and the House of the vineyard, with a double and two twin bedr…
Near Campo Maior
Located north of Alentejo Central, the municipality of Sousel does border on the North with the municipalities of Avis and Border, to the East, with …
Belonging to the district of Portalegre, the municipality of Crato is located in Alto Alentejo and is characterized for being picturesque and full of…
Situated in the alto Alentejo, the municipality of Arronches is integrated in Portalegre's district. From the three parishes belonging to the municip…
Alter do Chão
Located in Alto Alentejo, the peaceful Alentejo village of Alter do Chão is part of Portalegre district. Its origin is closely linked to a Roman sett…