Explore the best places
Monuments in Tomar
Estrada do Convento, 8
Castle built in the 12th century with the aim of becoming the seat of the Knights Templar. Built in a high location, only the walls that surround the citadel, the castle with its keep and the temple with a circular plan remain from the original building. Inside the temple, you can see an octagonal "charola", a Romanesque-style building. D. Henrique built two cloisters and the Palaces. D. Manuel added the Manueline nave, whose portico and Chapter house, with its famous window, are stunning. This castle was built by Gualdim Paes and is part of the offensive-defensive system of the reconquest. …
Rua da Infantaria, 15
Cinetheater with a room with a "U" plan with a capacity of 392 seats. It was in 1855 that the construction of the Teatro Nabantino began, in the place where, later, the Cineteatro Paraíso would appear, inaugurated in 1924.
Rua de Santa Iria
Arch from the 16th century, serving as a passageway over a public road, establishing communication between two convent buildings.
Rua de João Carlos Everard
Set of buildings on the right bank of the Nabão River, on a platform built on an artificial channel that diverts the waters of the Nabão River. Mills and hydraulic presses operated there, and there are projects to transform the space into a center for science and industrial archeology.
Rua de São João, 135
The foundation date of this church is uncertain, but it is known that it was rebuilt at the end of the 15th century by Dom Manuel I and completed around 1510. It has three naves defined by pointed arches and is flanked by a bell tower. It is decorated with Manueline motifs and, inside, the pulpit and the vault of the chancel stand out. It was classified as a National Monument in 1910.
Rua Aquiles de Mota Lima
Temple from the 13th century. It appears to have been part of a Convent of Benedicts, still in the period when the town was called Nabância. It was rebuilt by D. Gualdim Pais, in 1160, who made it the pantheon of the Templars in Portugal. Its structure presents transition elements from the Romanesque to the Gothic style, the latter being predominant. A large rose window stands out on the façade, surmounting the portico with four archivolts. Over the rose window you can see the mark of the Knights Templar, the Signum Salomonis. In the sacristy, with a 16th century vault, …
Rua Pé da Costa de Baixo
City closely linked to the Templars and the Order of Christ. When they arrived to Portugal, they spread castles across different domains, but Tomar was the center of the territory. After the castle, they built the "Charola" of Convento de Cristo, considered the most beautiful and well-preserved religious building of the Templars in Europe. Bathed by the River Nabão, Tomar has one of the historic centers in Portugal with the highest number of monuments, with emphasis on the churches of São João Baptista and Santa Maria dos Olivais and the Old Synagogue.
Rua Doutor Joaquim Jacinto, 73
The Synagogue of Tomar is probably the oldest gothic Hebrew temple. The temple was built between 1430-60 and closed in 1496, during the expulsion of the Jews. After that it was converted into a prison and in 1923 it was acquired by Samuel Schwarz and donated to the Portuguese state so the Luso-Hebraico Museum of Abrão Zacuto could be created there. It retains a columned structure covered by a cross vault.
Igreja do Castelo Templário
It initially belonged to the Order of the Temple and passed, in the reign of D. Dinis, to the Order of Christ. It is one of the main monuments of national architecture, where all the aesthetic stages, from the 12th to the 18th century, are profusely documented. Of note is the Cloister of D João III, the main Cloister of the Convent of Christ, considered the most monumental and beautiful work of the Renaissance, carried out by the architect Diogo de Torralva. Also noteworthy are the Cloister Lavagens and the Cloister of D. Henrique, which date back to the first …
Rua do Saibreiro
Built in 1593 by Filipe I, it is six kilometers long and was intended to supply the Convent of Christ. It has 180 arches, often overlapping, and took twenty years to complete.