Igreja de Santa Maria de Meinedo
The date of construction of this temple is estimated to have been in 1262, judging from the patent application at the entrance, although it may correspond to the reconstruction of an ancient monastery of an eremitical 11th century which, in turn, was erected on a building-7th century Visigothic suevic-archaeological excavations carried out in 1991 revealed ama structure belonging to a pre-Romanesque temple. To point out the existence of an image of our Lady of Meinedo, in limestone and with traces of polychrome, which is one of the rare examples of Romanesque sculpture in Portugal.
Lugar da Igreja
- Easy external parking
- Churches, Chapels & Temples
- Visitable (with a guide)
Monuments near Igreja de Santa Maria de Meinedo
Aqueduto de Nevogilde
A simple aqueduct, approximately 100 metres long, over the Mesio river and an agricultural land. It is well preserved and is the only aqueduct in the entire Lo…
Capela do Senhor dos Aflitos
This baroque chapel is located in the centre of the village, atop the hill that has the same name.
Castro de São Domingos
A celtic village with several ruin areas along the São Domingos Hill. A special note to the ruins of the ancient balnearies.