Mação

The municipality of Mação is part of Santarém's district and is composed of eight parishes. One of the interesting characteristics of its location is for it being the vertex of three regions: Beira Baixa, Ribatejo and Alentejo. The origin of its toponym is uncertain, but the presence of man in ancient times is properly documented and refers to periods such as the Palaeolithic or the period of Roman occupation. To its history belong also some episodes of the French Revolution and the struggles between Liberals and Miguelists. Mação is known by the three A 's: good waters, good airs and good olive oil ("boas águas, bons ares e bom azeite"). In fact, what this council has to offer are its landscapes, surrounded by green colors and sparkling waters, which you may enjoy, for example, in the various river beaches. The olive oil and wine productions occupy a large part of the population. These are, in fact, the ideal ingredients to accompany with the regional gastronomic icons. Starting with the sausages, ham, sheep and goat cheeses, passing by the cabrito assado em forno a lenha (lamb roasted in a wood-fired oven), feijão de Matança (bean stew served with poached eggs and codfish), bucho recheado (stuffed pork stomach dish), lampreia and sável na telha (lamprey or shad wrapped in cabbage leafs and served in typical tile recipients), achigã (black bass), sopa à pescador (seafood soup), ensopado de saboga ou de enguia (twait shad and eel stew). To finish, tigeladas de cardigos (egg-based sweets with cinnamon), bolo dos Santos (kind of sweet breads with anise and cinnamon), fofas de Mação (brandy sweets with an egg white coating) or torrados (roasted nuts). As a souvenir, you can select pottery works, tinsmith, lace and embroidery, blankets, wooden toys and objects linked to fishing, which will mark your passage through Mação.

Best Of Mação

Igreja Matriz de Nossa senhora da Conceição

Mação

This church was constructed under the orders of Filipe II in 1597. It is composed by three naves with Tuscan columns and plan in Latin cross. It stands out by the glazed tiles on the triumphal arch and the historic ...

Barragem da Pracana

Mação

A dam on the Ocreza river, near the place where it meets the Tagus river. Finished in 1951, it only became fully operacional in the late 1980s, after several alterations of its structures. It produces electricity. Sports are permitted, with ...

Jardim Municipal de Mação

Mação

A garden with abundant vegetation and benches. There is a flower hothouse and a lake.

Louriceira

Mação

A small village near the Olhos de Água. The early 16th century church and the farm of the old Alviela morgados (esquires) are worth a visit. The craftswork includes wood objects and tapestries.

Museu de Arte Pré-Histórica e do Sagrado no Vale do Tejo

Mação

Museum dedicated to the spiritual and symbolic manifestations of the sacred: from the prehistoric fertility rituals to worship the dead megalithic, passing through the medieval sacred art.

Castelo Velho do Caratão

Mação

Castro probably reconstructed Neolithic defensive and returned by the Romans until the 1st century in 1160, Dom Afonso Henriques will have you donated to the Knights Templar, which should have built a castle there. However, this never came to happen.

Parque de Merendas de Santo António

Mação

This is a very nice green space, with fountain, some stone tables and benches, sheltered by the shade of the trees and therefore it is a good place for picnics.

Estação Arqueológica Romana de Vale de Junco

Mação

Ancient Roman bathhouse consisting of two floors. The atrium, flanked by the "apodytherium" and the "frigidarium"; the "tepidarium" and the "caldarium". Keep part of the pipeline carrying water from the nearby river Eiras and part of the walls.

Praia Fluvial do Carvoeiro

Mação

River Beach built on the bed of the river which crosses the Carvoeiro. It offers a children's pool and a covered dining area equipped with grills.

Ermida de Santo António

Mação

Chapel, probably built in the 16th century, being then subject to reforms in the seventeenth century. Featured, inside, to the tile flooring dated from 1642.

view more