São Vicente

Located in the North of the island of Madeira, the municipality of São Vicente occupies an area of about 80 square miles and consists of the parishes of Boa Ventura, Ponta Delgada and São Vicente. Discovered in the 15th century, these lands were colonised a little later than the zone South of the island, did not present such a land fertile. With the start of production of sugar, then yes the colonization advanced from South to North, having established the parish of São Vicente to the middle of this century, which was elevated to a town in August 1744. According to legend, the toponym of São Vicente is due to the appearance of this Saint in the grave of a rock at the mouth of ribeira which came to inherit the same name, where he built a small chapel which attracts large number of devotees. The festa do Senhor Bom Jesus in August, which appeared on the island in 1466 thanks to Manuel Afonso Sanha, a settler originally from Barnes, and the feast of our Lady of the Rosary in October, are also occasions of great religious fervor in St. Vincent. The people of this municipality are dedicated mainly to activities related to small business and hospitality, passing by the furniture industry, bakery and sand extraction, among others. In agriculture, still predominates the cultivation of grain, potatoes, fruit and viticulture, often in small kitchen gardens. It should be noted that approximately 68% of the County is occupied by the Laurissilva forest, declared World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1999. When it comes to handicrafts, the expression of the Vincentians are reflected in Wicker pieces, embroidery, decorative works in bread crumbs, wooden artefacts, handmade shoes, cooperage, patchwork tapestry, wooden, Nativity figures with core of figueira and corn, tinsmith and fine arts.

Where to eat in São Vicente

What to do in São Vicente

Where to sleep in São Vicente

Casa da Capelinha
Casa da Capelinha

3 star

A familiar resort with 12 TO, T1 and T2 apartments in two houses. One of the manors was restored and the other was recently built. They are both located near t…

Casa da Beira
Casa da Beira

A small house with two rooms, located in Ponta Delgada, on the northern coast of the island, surrounded by sea and mountains.

Near São Vicente

Funchal

Funchal


City of rare beauty, where the dwellings appear in harmony with nature, framed in a beautiful setting between the Atlantic Ocean and the mountains. …

Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz


The municipality of Santa Cruz, whose area of 95.5 km2 covers also the Desertas Islands, visible from the coast, lies on the South coast of Madeira I…

Machico

Machico


It was at Machico beach, in 1419, that the navigators Gonçalves Zarco and Tristão Vaz landed for the first time in Madeira, kicking off the colonizat…

Câmara de Lobos

Câmara de Lobos


The municipality of Câmara de Lobos was created on May 25th 1835, having its settlement occurred on October 4th of the same year and having been elev…