Vila Real de Santo António

The Foundation of Vila Real de Santo António date of 1774, but its history dates back to ancient times, according to assert the copies, testimonies megalithic Roman and Arabic. The western part is occupied by the parish of Vila Nova de Cacela, which played an important role in the history of the County, as the starting point for the reconquest of the Algarve. The eastern part is occupied by the municipality and by Monte Gordo. Besides the beaches and tourist attractions associated with, Vila Real de Santo António integrates three environmentally protected areas: National Coastal Dunes and forest, the reserve of Sapal de Castro Marim and Vila Real de Santo António and the Ria Formosa. The populations continue to take advantage of all of these protected areas, besides the Guadiana. Currently, tourism is an industry of weight in the local economy. The beaches of the municipality are flooded with domestic and foreign tourists. The Casino of Monte Gordo, just like the beach with the same name, the Manta Rota, of Cacela Velha and the de Santo António are the main attractions, which join in the summer, the festivals (our Lady of Sorrows, Santa Rita and our Lady of the incarnation). In addition to the popular, also tourists join the processions and rituals associated. Given the location, the fish and seafood are the strengths of the tourist menus. Horse mackerel alimados are the icon of the region. The sweets are typical almond-based confectionery.

Best Of Vila Real de Santo António

view more