Being one of the oldest counties of Alentejo, its past is filled with spoils miscellaneous, despite there being many concrete data about the history leading up to the 13th century. The municipality traces abound that indicate human occupation ancestor, but it is known that Portel is the result of a donation made by d. Afonso III to d. João Peres de Aboim, later D. João de Portel, essential figure in the history of this county, who was due to the construction of the Castle and fortress. From 1836, the municipality was progressively increased, being composed, currently eight parishes. Its heritage has several churches, hermitages, with the Castle (a National Monument) and other monuments of great interest for the municipality. Agriculture is the main livelihood of the people of Portel, which keep their field very well arranged, thanks also to the Barragem do Alqueva, which improve soil irrigation. The cuisine is stuffed: soups (tomato and fish), "enchidos e queijos", black pork dishes and game, lamb, all drizzled with herbs, are the main. In pastry, pupias, "bolo de mel", "biscoitos", "bolos folhados", "pastéis de grão", "borrachos" or "filhoses" are a bit everywhere.
Where to eat in Portel
Situated in the historic area of Portel, this space, housed in a former stables and respective hays…
A large, simple and familiar space with a menu of traditional Portuguese dishes, namely some from t…
Restaurant with Great views of Lake Alqueva, serving dishes from Alentejo cuisine with a touch of i…
A large and rustic restaurant, located in na old, large house, that serves fine regional dishes, wi…
Quite a simple space with a menu filled with regional dishes, namely live coal grilled dishes.
What to do in Portel
Castelo de Portel
Important example of military architecture, this castle was built in the 13th century. Has the form of an irregular Octagon and the keep, with rooms covered with gothic vaults, is of marble. Currently, the Palace of the Dukes of Braganza and Mayors, the Manueline-mudéjar Chapel. The residential houses, barracks and military warehouses, in Plaza de Armas, are in ruins.
Aldeia dos Pequeninos
A small garden where one may view small village's artefacts, such as the water tank, the steep village streets, the mill, the national flag, April's carnations, the brooks and a few waterfalls.
Churrião de Portel
O "churrião" era utilizado para o transporte de pessoas e puxado por muares. Tem dois assentos laterais e um na frente. É coberto por uma espécie de toldo (canudo), feito de canas encostadas e recobertas de lona. Presentemente é raro …
Igreja de Vera Cruz de Marmelar
This imposing building from the 16th century was built above previous constructions from the 10th/ 11th and 13th centuries from each there are still some traces on the apse and apse chapels. It still preserves a niche with Visigoth decoration. …
Casa Nobre da Família Gil Borja de Meneses
Architecture building johannite season Manor built in the 18th century, consisting of two floors and with family crest surmounting the main door. All the Windows of the upper floor have a small balcony. He currently works as a nursing home.
Convento de São Francisco dos Capuchos da Piedade
Convent of Franciscan architecture founded in 1547 by Dom Teodósio I, Duke of Braganza. Suffered a general reform in 1726 and, in 1834, was transformed into a landfill agricultural implements. Currently, lies in State and private ground vacant.
A very beautiful place where one may stroll, dive and fish, among other activities. One may also rent house-boats, boats on a daily basis, as well as aprk one's boat on the quay.
Where to sleep in Portel
Arraiolos is inserted in the middle of the Alentejo plain, in the district of Évora. Its natural beauty and the famous tapestries of Arraiolos attrac…
Vila Viçosa already exists as village since the early days of the Christian Reconquest situated in a Valley, known as Lush. Was in 1270 that Dom Afon…
Reguengos de Monsaraz
Reguengos de Monsaraz belongs to the District of Évora and is limited, to the Southwest, by imposing the Guadiana river. The past of this municipalit…
Montemor-o-Novo is with an area of 1450 square kilometers one of the largest municipalities in Portugal. Santiago do Escoural ruins indicate a presen…