Mora

Mora is a small municipality in the district of Évora consisting of only four parishes. Its name appeared in 1923. Its past is long and dates back to prehistory according to some of the megalithic monuments that can still be admired in the municipality. The jurisdiction of Mora belonged until 1176 to Coruche when Afonso Henriques donated the castle of Coruche to the so-called Freires de Évora. In 1212 a new donation was made, now by D. Afonso II, to the Ordem de Avis, that slowly populated the territory to which Mora belonged. All the parishes obtained a charter during the Middle Ages and the Modern Age. Various industries have developed as long as the railways passed through the municipality and kept it connected to the rest of the country. After the closure of the line in 1895 the pace of the industrial activity slowed down. Mora has currently several attractions, both in terms of built heritage as well as what regards its natural and landscape heritage. Agriculture, trade and the services continue to be the primary activities of the population. The handcrafted products are known and abundant in craft fairs: pottery, harvester's shoes, baskets and pastor's boots are some examples. The local cuisine is respected since ancestral times. Black pig meats, the açordas (kind of porridge made with old bread), the migas (dish made with leftover bread) and, among the sweets, the sericaia (cake made with lemon juice and cinnamon), the farófias (poached meringues), the pão-de-rala (almond cake with an egg and pumpkin jam syrup) and conventual sweets are some of the most expressive flavors of the region.

Where to eat in Mora

What to do in Mora

Where to sleep in Mora

Hotel Solar dos Lilases
Hotel Solar dos Lilases

3 star

Hostels, careful presentation historical, resulting from thorough recovery of an ancient Manor House dating from the 19th century, without forgetting the neces…

Herdade Val Poço
Herdade Val Poço

Lovely space, 16 kilometres of Mora, with 724 hectares of land and dams, which enable the practice of activities as diverse as hunting, fishing, canoeing, amon…

Casa da Vila de Cabeção
Casa da Vila de Cabeção

The House of the village Head was typical of rural Alentejo and was recovered, to make room for this area of rural tourism. Every room has a different decorati…

Near Mora

Arraiolos

Arraiolos


Arraiolos is inserted in the middle of the Alentejo plain, in the district of Évora. Its natural beauty and the famous tapestries of Arraiolos attrac…

Vila Viçosa

Vila Viçosa


Vila Viçosa already exists as village since the early days of the Christian Reconquest situated in a Valley, known as Lush. Was in 1270 that Dom Afon…

Reguengos de Monsaraz

Reguengos de Monsaraz


Reguengos de Monsaraz belongs to the District of Évora and is limited, to the Southwest, by imposing the Guadiana river. The past of this municipalit…

Montemor-o-Novo

Montemor-o-Novo


Montemor-o-Novo is with an area of 1450 square kilometers one of the largest municipalities in Portugal. Santiago do Escoural ruins indicate a presen…